A Charmed Life - Cover

A Charmed Life

Copyright© 2016 by The Outsider

Chapter 21: A Brief Detour

14 June 1991 – Interstate 90 Eastbound, Conneaut, Ohio

Jeff drove east through Ohio five days later. He hadn’t pushed very hard to get home until today. Jeff started the day west of Cleveland and, two hours later, he was to its east and almost into Pennsylvania. He planned to push through the remaining miles to Enfield. That was the plan, at least.

Jeff was on Interstate 90, which would become the Massachusetts Turnpike at some point that night. His truck rolled along in the right lane of the two eastbound lanes. He sometimes changed lanes to avoid traffic, merging at the exits, but otherwise, it was an easy ride. He wasn’t trying to win any races and didn’t care if people passed him. He cruised at five miles an hour over the posted speed limit. His open window let the breeze in, and he enjoyed the warm morning air. Home wasn’t going anywhere.

High-pitched engine sounds cut through the cab of his truck, overpowering Jeff’s music. A glance in his rearview mirror showed a low-slung import weaving in and out of traffic. The engine had to be turning seven to eight thousand RPM from the way it whined. The import blew by him, rocking his truck as it passed.

“Dick,” he muttered. “There’s always someone who wants to be first.”

Jeff’s laid-back attitude vanished moments later when the import’s brake lights came on in the distance. The lights veered left, and the car flipped down the highway. Another half a dozen vehicles also collided in front of him.

“SHIT!”

He darted around the crash using the breakdown lane and parked off the road well past the accident. Jeff hit his flashers and grabbed his first aid kit. Brakes squealed behind him while jogging to the import. He spared a glance over his shoulder and confirmed that traffic stopped well back from the crash.

The import was, somehow, upright on its wheels. Jeff barely recognized it compared to the last time he saw it, however. The driver, who hadn’t been wearing his seatbelt, still sat in the car. There was a large gash across his forehead that hadn’t bled, and his head hung at an unnatural angle. Glancing at the car’s interior, Jeff guessed the driver’s neck broke upon impact with the collapsing roof. The passenger must not have been wearing his seat belt, either. What remained of him hung halfway out his window and appeared crushed, likely by the rolling car. Jeff shook his head as he walked back to the rest of the accident.

“Hey!” Jeff called to the driver in the first car he came to, one with heavy front-end damage. “You all right?”

“I think I just lost twenty years off my life, but other than that, yeah.”

“Okay, the police should be here soon. Sit tight.”

The man waved his thanks, and Jeff went to check the rest of the cars.

“Need any help?” asked a man approaching from the direction of the stopped traffic.

“Yes, Sir. Can you find the driver of that tractor-trailer over there? Ask him to make sure the police know about this, using his CB?”

“Already called it in. That’s my rig.”

“Perfect, thanks. If you have a first aid kit, would you mind grabbing it and checking the other cars? I’m headed to that minivan over there. I hear some yelling coming from it.”

The trucker gave him a thumbs-up and ran back to his truck. The crying of a young child mixed with an adult’s cries for help grew louder while he approached the van.

The van’s driver looked like someone painted her red from the forehead down. The blood covering her face had partially hardened already, causing her eyes to stick closed. A large, jagged cut was visible across her forehead and up into her hairline. A blood-soaked sun visor sat in her lap, and the van’s left front corner displayed heavy damage.

“Help!” she called out the window as Jeff approached.

“Ma’am? My name is Jeff. I’ve got some gauze here that I’m putting over a big cut on your forehead. Then I’m going to try to clean some of the blood off your face, okay?”

“My son! Is he okay?”

Jeff glanced in the back seat of the van. A two- or three-year-old boy sat in his car seat. The boy looked uninjured, despite his frantic cries.

“Hey, little guy. I’m gonna help your mom, okay?”

The boy didn’t respond; he just kept crying.

Jeff covered the woman’s cut with a wad of gauze pressed to her head and then secured it with a military field bandage.

“He doesn’t look injured, and his seat doesn’t appear damaged at all. I think he’s crying because he’s scared. What’s your name, Ma’am?”

“Donna. Are you with the ambulance?” she asked while holding the bandage to her head with her right hand. Jeff tied the ends of the bandage around her head to hold it in place.

“No, Donna. I’m just another motorist heading home; I had to stop and help out. The ambulance should be here soon. Traffic’s already pretty backed up, so I’m sure they’re going to have a little trouble getting through.” Jeff used damp gauze to sponge the dried and drying blood off her face.

“I can’t move my legs,” Donna said matter-of-factly.

Jeff stopped cleaning Donna’s face. “You can’t move your legs?” he asked, glancing down. Her legs disappeared into a mass of metal.

“I can feel them, but for some reason, I can’t move them. It feels like something is digging into my left leg.”

Relief washed over Jeff. “The front of your van looks like it crumpled around your legs. That might be why you can’t move them. There’s no other damage inside the car, though.” Jeff cleared enough of the blood off Donna’s face for her to open her eyes. “Hey, little lady. Can you see me?”

“Yes. I’ve got a terrible headache, though.”

“You’ve got a pretty good gash on your forehead up by your hairline, Donna. It looks like you took down your sun visor with your forehead. That might be it.” The boy in the back seat was now quiet and looked around. “What’s your son’s name?”

“Jeffrey. He’s four. Jeffrey, say hi to the man helping Mommy.”

Jeff smiled at the boy in the back seat when the little man waved at him.

“Your name’s Jeffrey?” The boy nodded. “What a great name! My name is Jeffrey, too! It’s the best name in the world!” The little boy smiled back.

An Ohio State Highway Patrol cruiser rolled down the breakdown lane and parked behind Jeff’s truck. Jeff waved to the trooper when he stepped out of the patrol car. The man placed his campaign cover on his head and stepped over.

“Good morning, Trooper. There are two dead in that import up there. You might want to cover that car with a tarp or something; the passenger got crushed by the car as it rolled, and on-coming traffic might see that. That car there has a gentleman who was scared half to death but says he’s otherwise uninjured. Other than Donna and her young son here, I don’t know who else might be injured. The driver of the big rig there is checking the rest of the cars. I worked this side of the crash until I got to Donna’s car. Donna can’t move her lower legs; the front of the van crumpled around them. She does have feeling in them, however. She says she can feel something sticking into her left leg.”

Trooper Phil Jackson rarely received that kind of report from a bystander. “Where do you work? That was a comprehensive report.” The aid bag and pile of bloody gauze at the man’s feet hinted that the man might work in public safety.

“None, Sir. I just got out of the Army. Infantry. Gotta be able to size up what you see pretty quickly, you know?”

“I do. Someone will need to talk to you after we take care of the accident.”

“Roger, Trooper. I’ll be here.” The trooper nodded and walked away. “Donna, does your neck hurt?”

“A little. I think my head snapped back when I hit the sun visor.”

Jeff probed the back of her neck, from the base of the skull to the level of her shoulders. He didn’t feel anything out of the ordinary, but Donna sucked in a sharp breath when he touched a spot halfway down the neck.

“I don’t feel anything wrong, Donna, but with the pain you’re feeling in that spot, try to keep your head still, okay?” Jeff reached through the window. He manipulated the rearview mirror so that she could see her son. “Can you see Jeffrey now?”

“I can, thank you. Hi, pumpkin! Mommy’s got a boo-boo, but I’ll be okay!” Jeffrey looked like he was about to start crying again.

“Buddy, that’s just a big Band-Aid on Mommy’s head, okay?” Jeff said to the little boy. Jeffrey looked at Big Jeff and then back at Mommy.

“It’s okay, pumpkin,” she said to Jeffrey, trying to soothe him. “Am I still covered in blood?” she whispered to Jeff.

“Well, you’ll need a little more clean-up, but you don’t look like Carrie at the prom any longer.”

Donna chuckled. “Bastard.”

An ambulance and a fire engine pulled up behind the trooper’s car. The trooper walked up to the crews and pointed out various things around the accident scene. Two of the engine’s crew retrieved a large canvas bundle and hustled to the crushed import. The canvas was a tarp that they used to obscure the remains of the vehicle. The engine’s officer approached.

“Sir, Trooper Jackson said you’d be able to give me a rundown on this lady’s condition.” Jeff nodded and briefed the lieutenant on Donna’s injuries and what she told him about her legs. The fire officer nodded in return. “Sounds like we’ll need the Jaws to get her out. The tools get pretty noisy, Ma’am. Do you think your son will go with someone when we start working on the car?”

“Jeff, would you take care of him?”

“Of course, Donna. Is there anything in the car you use to keep him occupied?”

“There’s a bag in the back seat with some of his books.”

“LT, can we sit in the back of the ambulance while I read to him?”

“No reason you can’t. We’ve got a few more units coming to help out, but that one won’t be leaving before they arrive. I’ll make sure Donna and her little man are together before she’s transported. Grab his car seat, too.”

Jeff smiled at Donna and then walked around to the van’s sliding passenger door. Jeffrey looked at him with big eyes.

“Hey, Jeffrey. The firemen need to use some tools to help get your mommy out of the car. They’re going to be pretty loud, so she asked me if I’d bring you over to the ambulance and read some of your books to you. Does that sound okay?” Jeffrey nodded.

Jeff gathered up the boy’s books and placed them back in their bag. The crash had scattered the contents across the back seat. He unbuckled the boy and figured out how to remove the car seat. He carried the boy over to the ambulance along with the bag and seat.

“Wow, Jeffrey, this is cool! Have you ever been in an ambulance before? No? Me, either! Why don’t you sit here on this bench? I’ll sit next to you. We won’t need your seat until they’re ready to go. Which book do you want to read first?”

Jeff used different voices for the various characters in Jeffrey’s books. The little boy soon filled the ambulance with laughter. Jeff kept him laughing by making funny faces as he read.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close