A Charmed Life - Cover

A Charmed Life

Copyright© 2016 by The Outsider

Chapter 2: Starting Strong

29 August 1983 – Hardwick Road, Enfield, Massachusetts

Jeff leaned into the opposing player as they fought for the soccer ball. Sweat stung his eyes and his lungs burned as they ran down the field. Jeff finally gained a step on his man and flicked the ball toward a player from his team. A whistle blew behind them, signaling the end of their turn, and both players returned to the back of the drill line.

“Nice job,” the other boy offered as they jogged back to the rest of the midfielders.

“Thanks,” Jeff answered.

“I’m Tom Jarrett.”

“Jeff Knox,” he replied as they stopped at the water cooler.

“‘Knox?’ Does your mom work here by any chance?”

“Sixth Grade math,” Jeff confirmed, nodding while they rejoined the line.

“Cool! She was my math teacher back then!” Tom exclaimed. “Hey, you’re a freshman, right? My brother will be in your class this year.”

“I’ll look for him next week.”

Switching to the offense for his next turn, Jeff pulled away from his defender with ease. He sprinted away from the boy, angled towards the goal, and blasted a shot at the net. The goalie made the stop but the defender should have kept Jeff from shooting at all. His counterpart said nothing to him as they returned to the line.

’Whatever, pal,’ Jeff thought. ’Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.’

Jeff gave one hundred percent on the field and was not timid. Timid players got bench time, not playing time. Whatever Jeff was off the field was going to change.

The second half of practice on Friday was all scrimmages. Jeff was always right on his man when defending and a step ahead on offense. The end of the final scrimmage approached when his defense cleared the ball. The ball sailed down the field rather than out towards the sideline. Jeff gauged the flight of the ball and broke for the opposing goal.

The ball appeared over his right shoulder, landing on the pitch in front of him. He began to advance it down the field without breaking stride. He streaked by the other team’s midfielder before that player could react. He put the ball through the legs of their left fullback and cut around him. The sweeper came over to defend him. The boy charged at him and attempted a hard slide tackle.

The sweeper slid toward Jeff while the ball was on Jeff’s foot. Jeff popped it ahead of where the defender would be, leaped over him, and flew down the now-open field. The other team tried to catch up. The goalie and the boy playing stopper both closed in on him.

’Perfect,’ thought Jeff.

Jeff flicked the ball across the field, causing the stopper to slip and fall when he tried to reverse direction. The goalie tracked the new path of the ball but it was hopeless.

Tom Jarrett ran flat-out towards the goal down the opposite side of the field. He judged the speed of the ball and planted his foot in the proper place. The ball wasn’t near him when he began his kick, but it rolled into the right spot as Tom’s leg came forward. He launched a one-timer at the net. The goalie leaped for the shot but it knuckled and sailed past him, and inside the right post. Tom and Jeff high-fived as the whistle blew.

’Hot damn!’ Coach Romanov thought as he smiled around his whistle. ’Those two are going to cut defenses apart!’


’All right. Deep breath. You can do this,’ Jeff coached himself while he pulled the door to his homeroom open. ‘Head up, shoulders back, look people in the eye.’ Mrs. Elgin, his homeroom teacher, looked up at him as he entered.

“Jeff!” she greeted him with a smile as he walked over to her desk. “Welcome! How was your summer?”

“Too short as always, Mrs. E.,” he responded.

“Very true,” she said in agreement. “When did your mom start getting ready for the school year?”

“August first, same as every year,” he grinned. “Was it the same for you?”

“I’ve been teaching a few years longer than your mother, Jeff. I’ve learned how to put off preparations until at least the fifteenth of August.” Alice Elgin laughed. She’d been teaching for over forty years.

“Do we have assigned seats in homeroom?” he asked.

“We most certainly do, young man!” she responded sternly, shaking a finger at him. “Why chaos would reign should we let the ill-informed choose their own seating!” Jeff laughed with her. “Do you see that boy sitting there?” Jeff turned in the direction she pointed. He turned back and nodded. “Your seat is just to the left of him, his right if you’re facing the front of the room.”

“Thanks, Mrs. E. I’ll go and introduce myself if you’ll excuse me?”

Jeff turned for the indicated seat when she smiled and nodded. The already-seated boy studied a map of the campus and compared it to his class schedule. That boy looked up when Jeff approached.

“You must be Tom Jarrett’s brother,” Jeff said.

“Yeah, I am!” the boy confirmed, holding out his hand and smiling. “I’m Jack Jarrett.”

“Jeff Knox. Good to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you, too. How do you know Tom? Were you here for middle school?”

“No, I play soccer, so we met last week at practice. Tom told me that he had my mother as his math teacher when he was in Sixth Grade, too.”

“Your mom’s a teacher here?” Jack asked as Jeff sat.

“Yep,” he confirmed. “She’s been teaching math here since I was three.”

“But you’re just starting Thompkins today?”

“Yeah, I was in Enfield’s public schools until last year.”

“So you’re from here?”

“Sure am. I was born at the hospital in Greenwich and I’ve lived in the valley my whole life. What about you and Tom?”

“We grew up in Williamstown. We were born up in Burlington, Vermont before Mom and Dad decided to move south to Massachusetts. I wasn’t old enough then to remember it.”

They chatted back and forth until the first bell rang. Both gathered their things and rose to head to their first class. Jeff noted that Jack walked with a pronounced limp but kept his eyes on his new friend’s eyes and said nothing about it.

“I’ll grab a couple of seats for us at lunch, okay?” Jeff asked.

“Sounds good, thanks.”

’See?’ Jeff asked himself. ‘That wasn’t so hard, was it?’


Jeff walked into the cafeteria and grabbed a couple of seats at the end of a still-empty table. He looked around the large room but didn’t see Jack, so he sat and opened the brown bag he brought to school. He looked up every so often to see if Jack was around.

Jeff spotted Jack a few minutes later while the other freshman moved through the lunch line. He checked again a few minutes later and saw that Jack was now at the checkout station. He also noticed that Jack didn’t look happy. Jeff saw Jack looking around the lunchroom so he waved until Jack caught sight of him and nodded. He noticed another student following Jack as Jack began walking towards him. Jeff guessed the other boy was the source of Jack’s displeasure.

Jeff rose from the table as Jack approached. He nodded toward the table then stepped between it and the other student when Jack passed him.

“Table’s full,” Jeff said in a brusque manner.

Bullshit!” the other boy spat. “Nobody else is sitting here!”

“Tough, you won’t be either.”

“F•©k you,” the boy said, trying to get past Jeff who continued to block him.

“Let me make it clearer: you’re not welcome here. You’re clearly bothering my friend. Go find somewhere else to sit.”

Jeff felt movement behind him. He shifted position and saw that other freshmen from the soccer team had occupied the rest of the seats at the table.

“See? Table’s full,” Jeff said again.

“F•©k you, asshole!” the boy spat again. “You’ll get yours!”

“Like you’re gonna be the one giving it to me,” Jeff snorted in reply.

“You’d best bring help if you try anything, Cosgrove,” Jeff heard from behind him.

A large portion of both the varsity and JV soccer teams now stood behind his table. None of the players looked happy.

“You give Jeff or his friend any crap, and you’ll be explaining yourself to all of us,” one of them said. The boy named Cosgrove snorted and walked away.

“Thanks for the backup, guys,” Jeff said to his teammates.

“Keep your head on a swivel, Jeff,” Nick Ansonia, a junior who played varsity defense, cautioned him. Nick was also the one who warned the other boy off. “Bryan Cosgrove, his older brother Jeremy, and their friends are major jerks. We’ve got your back, but beware of those times when you’re not covered.”

“Got it, Nick.”

Jeff’s teammates nodded and headed off while Jeff sat back down and introduced the other frosh to Jack.

“Thanks, Jeff,” Jack muttered across the table after the introductions. “That kid wouldn’t let up on me.”

“Anytime, man.”

“It was a car accident.”

“What was?”

“I got hit by a car while I was riding my bike. I was eight. That’s why I walk like I do,” Jack explained. “I broke my hip and shattered my femur, that’s the thigh bone. The femur healed fine, except that it’s about an inch shorter than the other one, and my hip sticks a little.”

“Jack, are you a dickhead?”

“What? No! At least I try not to be,” Jack responded, confused.

“Dude, that’s all I care about,” Jeff told his new friend. “You didn’t come across as one in homeroom, so I don’t need to worry about anything else after that.”

“Thanks, man.”


Bryan Cosgrove hadn’t learned his lesson well at all.

Jeff shook his head at the sight of Cosgrove and a few of his buddies cornering two other freshmen later the same day. Jeff pushed past the henchmen who formed the outer ring of containment before stepping up to Cosgrove and his intended victims. Jeff was alone but he felt that he could handle this group. He shoved Bryan, causing him to turn.

“Did you think I’d forget about that nonsense back in the cafeteria?” Jeff asked in a quiet voice. “I don’t like bullies. I despise them.”

“F•©k you, pal!” Cosgrove spat back. “There’s only one of you now, there’s four of us!”

The girls Bryan had been terrorizing kept flicking their gaze back and forth. It was like they were watching a tennis match.

Jeff stepped closer and asked, “Oh, do you wanna dance with me? Because I’ll be sure that I take you out first. Whatever happens in the end, I will absolutely ruin your day before I’m done. Whatever you used to pull at whatever school you were at before coming here isn’t gonna fly here. Anything happens to these girls, or anyone else in this school, I’m going to be looking for you first.” Jeff then gave him a hard stare. Cosgrove stepped back.

“Whatever, pal,” he scoffed, trying to look tough for his accomplices. “Come on!” he ordered the others as he walked away from Jeff.

Jeff wasn’t sure where his new backbone came from but he figured it developed when he decided to take charge of his life. He watched Cosgrove and his buddies leave while he shook his head once more.

“Ladies, do you need an escort to class?” he asked, turning back to the two freshmen. There was nobody there.

Jeff looked down the hall and saw the girls running away from the scene. He simply shrugged and turned to get to his class. Jeff burned off the anger from his confrontations with Bryan Cosgrove at soccer practice.


Jeff looked around for Jack Jarrett when he entered the cafeteria for lunch the following Monday but didn’t see him right away. A pretty brunette sat at their normal table with someone. That person turned around and Jeff discovered that person was Jack. Jack saw his new friend, smiled, and waved him over.

“Hey, Jeff!” Jack called when Jeff drew closer.

“Hey,” Jeff answered back as he put his lunch down on the table next to Jack. “Hi, I’m Jeff Knox,” he said, smiling at the girl across the table. The girl smiled back and held out her hand which Jeff shook.

“Hi, I’m Kathy Stein,” she said.

Jeff sat. “Are you in our class?” he asked. “A freshman?”

“I am,” she confirmed with a nod.

“Welcome. How come you didn’t start the year with us last week?”

Kathy smiled. “My dad’s a cardiologist who just started at GVMC. We moved out here from L.A. at the beginning of August, but my folks wanted to make sure our family enjoyed at least part of summer vacation. We’ve been packing and unpacking for months. We were in Maine, up in Scarborough, for the last month or so. Mom found this gorgeous place right on the water when Dad started talking about moving us out of Southern California before last summer. They rented it for a month, centered roughly around Labor Day.” Kathy sighed. “It was wonderful! It was so much different after school had started up there, too!”

Jeff liked Kathy right away, for she seemed very genuine and honest. He also noticed during lunch that she seemed to have developed an interest in his friend.

“It might not be so wonderful when we get our first foot of snow,” Jeff cautioned.

“Hey, Tom says you’ve been turning heads at soccer,” Jack commented.

’Take no prisoners,’ that’s my motto, Jack,” Jeff grinned.

“Does that apply to Bryan Cosgrove and his buddies, too?” Jack asked back with a knowing smile.

Jeff rolled his eyes. “That dickhead,” he muttered. “Why? What have you heard?”

“Only that you promised to take him apart at the seams if you catch him bothering anyone.”

“That lardass doesn’t have any seams. He’s a solid piece of excrement.”

“Who’s Bryan Cosgrove?” asked Kathy who was still meeting the rest of her classmates.

“The member of the Class of 1987 who is in the early lead for the ‘Biggest Dickhead’ award at our graduation,” Jeff said.

“He is at that,” Jack laughed. He looked around the cafeteria and spotted the dickhead in question, pointing him out to Kathy. “Him. Avoid him at all costs.”

“I will, thanks.”


“‘All the leaves are brown, and the sky is gray... ‘“ Jeff sang to himself two months later while he put books in his locker.

Jeff couldn’t honestly see any leaves on the trees or the ground, not since Mother Nature blessed them with a foot of snow over the previous weekend. The sky was, however, the color of lead as the lyrics indicated. Jeff thought that it might be warmer on the ice today, since the outside temperature was an unusual twenty-two degrees Fahrenheit. It was normally in the high forties near the end of October. All that now stood between Jeff and a good workout was a last-period study hall.

Jeff saw some movement to his right as he was about to close his locker. He discovered it was his two best friends, Kathy and Jack when he looked closer. He was about to call out to them when he saw them step closer to each other and give each other a quick kiss.

’Whoa!’ Jeff thought. ’When did that happen?’

Jeff was by no means upset. He had thought that the two would make a good couple for some time, he was just startled by the sight. Jeff didn’t remember seeing anything out of the ordinary over the last two months, despite the three having lunch together since the start of school. Kathy and Jack broke their clinch after another quick kiss. Kathy walked away from Jeff and Jack toward her last-period class.

Jack also had study hall and had to pass Jeff to get there. Jeff silently closed his locker, and leaned against it while he waited for his friend. Jack watched Kathy walk away until she rounded a corner and disappeared. He turned to head to study hall, and did a double-take when he noticed his friend Jeff leaning against his locker with a bemused smile. Jack shook his head as he walked down the hall and came alongside Jeff.

“No wise-ass comments from you, fella,” Jack warned him.

Jeff looked hurt. “Who me?” he asked.

“Yes, you, you jerk,” Jack grumbled back.

Jeff threw an arm around his friend’s shoulders as they continued down the hall towards their last class.

“Hey, bud, I’m happy for you two, really,” Jeff told Jack in a serious tone. “You know you two are my best friends, right?”

“Yeah,” Jack admitted. “Thanks, Jeff. I was worried you might be upset. That I was blocking you or something.”

“Hey, I think Kathy’s great and very pretty, but I’m not interested in her that way,” Jeff admitted to Jack.

“So you’re not gonna move in on my girlfriend?”

“Who me?” Jeff repeated. The two laughed as they made their way to study hall.


“You guys will get ‘em next year,” Phil D’Etremont, the senior captain of the hockey team said. The members of the team sat in the visitor’s locker room at Amherst High School’s rink, having just lost their last game of the year.

“Sure we will,” sophomore Paul Benton muttered.

“Remember us little people when you and your BU teammates raise the Beanpot next year, Phil,” Jeff called out.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close