Second Chances - Cover

Second Chances

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 13

Soon did the Lion tire. Long has his vigilance against evil been unmatched. He has fought and he has killed in the name of the lighter side of God. His reign has been lifetimes long and unequaled.

His viciousness is known and admired even by the archangels. His place in Heaven is not assured because often times did he go above and beyond the call of duty.

His task is to defend the innocent. He does so with great love, reverence and respect for those he sacrificed for.

He was commanded to defend and he saw with all clarity that the best defense is a strong and immediate offense.

Soon even some of the innocents he protected wondered at such cruelty, and some even thought him more evil than good. Is it evil to do as one is commanded? Perhaps.

Now old and tired he sits on his majestic thrown and watches man turn away from him in misunderstanding. Never has man truly understood the creation of the universe. Its very soul is God.

The Universe's seemingly uncaring ways of nature have never been understood by those who look skyward and see only stars and an idea of some thought up God in the bibles of mankind.

The Lion's God is an enigma even to him, but he understands the need for death and suffering, for rebirth. Who better to understand than one who has willingly sacrificed his soul so that others would not have to?

To kill the evil before even they know they are evil. Not quite so simple, but it is easy to see when you look through the eyes of which has gazed upon God himself and herself.

Is Lion humanity at its truest form, or is he and yes even she, beast?

Who and what is the Lion?

That is why I have been allowed to journey to this magical place, to tell just that story. For those who think they know God, stop reading. For those who are squeamish, stop reading. But, for those who see the universe in its true beauty and cruelty, please continue on.

Though the Lion is chosen from the greatest of human warriors and spends much of his time in life's domain, he also has a ruling castle in a secluded spot in a place known as Eden.

Comparatively it is a small castle to some of those that have been built on Terra in days past, but that is not its grandeur. In the depths of the castle in the very center of its being is the secret to the Lion's longevity. Bubbling pristinely is the Fountain of Youth.

Even to the greatest warrior war can go on for too long. The Lion has tired and now that he has been informed that another has wielded the Shield of Infinity and Arthur's very own Excalibur he is ready to move on.

"Now to get him here. Since the days of the round table have I defended the light. I am weary beyond contradiction. At last my destiny has reached its end.

"For all that I have done, will I be welcomed into to the very thing I spent much of my life to defend? It is up to my successor to send me into the light or disperse my being back out into the stars that so graciously created me so long ago."


As Christina is setting at the kitchen table reading both the Book of the Spiritual Nexus and the Book of Undaunted Darkness with notes scattered everywhere she goes into a trance and her eyes shine radiant white.

When her eyes go back to their beautiful brown Alex, Mary and Casper are looking at her in concern. "We have been summoned." Says Christina to them.

"Summoned? By who?" Asks Alex curiously.

"By Faith, the Unicorn of Fate."

"We want to go." Says Chrissy coming into the dining room.

Alex looks at her and Katie and then he looks at Mary and Casper. "I think it is only fair. You all have given some of yourselves in defense of the light so I think you have a right to enter Eden."

"Alright!" Says Katie all excited.

"When do we leave?" Asks Casper.

"There's no time like the present."

"If we are all going I think we should bring the books."

"I agree." Says Mary. "Since we have learned of The Baron's desire to posses it, I think it is only wise."

Alex picks up the Book of Undaunted Darkness and Christina picks up the other.

"So, how do we get there this time?" Asks Alex wonderingly.

Christina smiles and nods her head towards the living room where a swirling vortex has just appeared. "How's that?"

"Wonderful!" Says Casper.

"Your powers have grown mighty indeed, my beautiful wife."

"Come on girls we are going on another trip." Says Christina.

Chrissy and Katie jump with joy and do not hesitate to step into the swirling vortex. They don't even think of the fact that is how they tricked Caleb to cross over.

As they step out of the swirling glittering vortex Faith is waiting for them. "Greetings."

"Hello again, Faith." Says Alex.

As he looks at her he can see that her new horn is only half grown in.

Christina bows to her and says, "Thank you, Faith, for the most precious of gifts."

"It was truly my honor to aid the White Sorceress. You two certainly have come a long ways since you both were first here."

Christina smiles and Alex says, "It feels like far."

"So, who do we have here?"

Christina answers. "Faith, this is the rest of our crew. The redhead is Mary and mother to us all. Casper is indeed a friendly ghost." All of them get a kick out of life when many years later somebody writes a story about him.

"The blond little one is Chrissy and the Brunette is Katie. Girls, this is the Unicorn of Fate and her name is Faith."

"Hi." Say the girls wide-eyed and pretty.

"Hello and welcome!"

Alex walks over to Faith and whispers something in her ear. She smiles the best she can for a horse and nods her head.

Alex walks over and picks up Katie first and places her on the back of Faith. Next comes Chrissy. He puts her behind because she is a little bigger.

The girls are in absolute heaven, even though technically they are in the transition plain between Heaven and the domain of the living, but you get the meaning.

"So, Faith, you summoned us?" Asks Alex.

"No, the Lion has summoned you."

"The Lion you say!"

"Please, right this way."

Faith leads them through the open meadow and through the hills that hold the entrances to the many caves. They continue onward until at last they come to an even bigger hill and on top of it is a castle of gray dominance.

"Wow!" Says Chrissy from the back of Faith, the Unicorn of Fate.

"Indeed." Says Casper.

They travel up the winding dirt path and then at last come before the shinning gates that are left open wide for any who have the heart and mind to enter this magical place.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close