Second Chances
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

It doesn't take long for sweet little Chrissy to become apart of the family. All four of them take a moment to revel in the fact that they have done another good deed. They stopped criminals from deceiving good folk and ended sweet little Chrissy's enslavement.

"They never knew I was there. When they opened up the book it's power pulled me to it and I became trapped. They only saw the glowing blue light and used that to fool people."

"Yes, we felt its pull also." Says Casper.

"What happened to you when they closed the book?" Asks Alex curiously.

"The same thing as when you closed it. It released me and I went back to haunting my home. Except this time of course I got to come home with you folks." Chrissy smiles prettily.

"Did it cause you pain?" Asks Mary.

"No, it was just like I had to obey it. It wasn't mean or even a conscious entity; it was just a focused blue light emanating great power that actually made me feel kind of tingly and good. Sort of like recharged."

"Hmm. We are definitely going to have to figure out its secret. I wonder if the person those criminals stole it from knows how to use it or even just read it?"

"Maybe, but what if they want it back. I don't know why, but I get the feeling this book can take us a long ways toward reaching our goals and destiny." Says Mary.

"What I'm wondering," says Casper. "Is how two idiot criminals learned how to read the cover that they said says Book of the Spiritual Nexus?"

"I heard them talking about a lady professor at a college. They said they took a picture of the cover to her and she told them what it said." Chrissy clarifies for them.

"Do you remember which college?" Asks Alex.

"Not really." Says Chrissy kind of sad that she can't help.

"It's okay, sweetheart. Can you think of anything they might have mentioned in passing?" Asks Mary comfortingly.

"They kept saying three letters."

"You mean like NYU."

Chrissy's eyes go big and she smiles adoringly as she says, "Yeah, that's it exactly."

"Wonderful!" Says Casper.

"Okay, so a lady professor at New York University knows how to read this book or at least some of it. How hard can it be to find her?" Wonders Alex.

"I did hear one other thing also. I thought it was mean the way they kept making fun of her."

"What do you mean, sweetheart?" Asks Mary.

"They used to make fun of her because she used to be a nun."

"A professor at NYU who used to be a nun. Chrissy you are a marvelous little girl. You have just made our job a lot easier."

Chrissy is smiling from ear to ear and since she is happy she is even glowing a little more than normal. Both Mary and Casper are also very proud of her and tell her so.

"Yes, hi, my name is Alex and a friend of mine told me of a lady professor here that used to be a nun and has the ability to read old languages." Says Alex to the Dean of the College.

He is a gray haired old man with endless intelligence in his blue eyes. "Yes, that would be Christina. You will find her over in the Ancient Studies building."

"Thank you very much for your time, sir."

"No problem. I hope she can help you with your translation."

"Me too. Me too. Again, thank you."

Alex goes and finds the Ancient Studies building and methodically searches out Christina Kelly. Finally he comes up to her office and luckily she is not in class. Alex pokes his head into the room while knocking on the door framing at the same time.

"Yes."

"Hi, are you Christina Kelly?"

"I am. How can I help you today?"

Alex didn't know what he was expecting, but he sure wasn't expecting a nun to be so pretty. "Well, I'm hoping we can help each other."

"How so?"

"I have an old book that I need help reading and as I understand it you know how to read some of the language that it is written in."

"And how would you know that?"

"Some acquaintances said you translated the cover of it for them."

"Did I?"

"You told them the cover translated as The Book of the Spiritual Nexus."

That got her attention. She stops preparing her next lecture and looks up at Alex. Christina has beautiful brown eyes shinning from a pretty face and her long brunette hair flows lovely. "They are your friends?"

Alex isn't sure how honest he should be with this woman he just met, but with one look from her beautiful brown eyes he knows he has no choice. "No. In fact they were using the book to scam people and even unknowingly to them they were enslaving a ghost."

There is a pause between them as they are waiting for the other's reaction. "And now?"

"And now my friends and I have possession of it and wish to discover its secrets so we can use them for good."

"Who are your friends?"

"That is a little harder to explain. Would you like a chance to look at the whole book?"

Christina's eyes go big as she cannot hide her desire to lay her hands upon the divine book. She gets control of herself and tries to act like it is no big deal. "Maybe."

Alex smiles. "Let's say tonight at my house in Hell's Kitchen."

"Okay, I can be there around seven."

"Perfect!" They shake hands and after Alex gives her the address he asks her another question. "Can I ask you something?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close