His Lucky Charm - Cover

His Lucky Charm

Copyright© 2012 by Argon

Chapter 12: An Unpleasant Encounter

August 1863 - Denver, St. Louis, Independence

The mule wagon train from the bank left on August 24, a Monday. Jim and Albert Tennison rode with the detachment of Colorado Militia that guarded the transport. For the trip, Jim had once again changed into buckskins. His old Enfield Rifle was in a scabbard by his side, but he had also come into possession of one of the first Henry Repeating Rifles that found its way west. One of the purposes of this trip was to get more ammunition for this rare gun, as it fired 0.44 caliber rimfire cartridges that could not be found in Colorado. He only had thirty rounds for it, and its tube magazine housed sixteen rounds. If they got into any fighting, the Henry could be his life saver, but he needed more ammunition to practice with the weapon.

They ran a chuck wagon along for the trip and the militia had their standard issue tents. Jim and Albert led pack horses along carrying their own gear, but they partook of the food doled out from the chuck wagon.

Of course, once they were on their way, Jim could not resist straying from the trail and doing some hunting. His trusted Enfield still did him good service, and the militia men were grateful for the addition of venison to their food.

They took a direct route towards Independence, one with which Jim was not familiar. It was a big trail though, carved into the soil by the countless wheels of the wagon trains that had brought the diggers to the Colorado territory. There was some unrest among the Indians along the trail as Jim knew. Young Cheyenne and Arapaho braves were dissatisfied with their peace minded chiefs and went on raids under their own guidance. The three-wagon train guarded by almost twenty well armed men went unmolested though, and they reached Independence by mid-September.

Jim had known Independence from before the gold rush, but the city had almost doubled in size since then. Given the value of their cargo they did not stop but rather pressed ahead. It took almost another three weeks to reach St. Louis. Here, the bullion was finally unloaded. Jim and Albert found hotel rooms and changed into their city suits. They did not risk keeping their precious Bills of Exchange for longer than necessary, and they quickly sought out the bank house recommended to them.

The First Philadelphia occupied the ground floor of a tall building in the center of the city. The mere mention that they had Bills of Exchange to the sum of over five-hundred thousand dollars was enough for the General Manager to receive them in his own plush office. Of course, the First Philadelphia would be of service. Of course, they could have access to their funds from any of the numerous branches. Could they expect more payments in the future?

The general manager helped them set up four accounts, one for each partner. Jim set us his own account with Rose as co-signee which raised some eyebrows. He also deposited an additional three thousand dollars in gold eagles, bringing his account to an awe-inspiring $132,000, or £18,000 as he translated mentally. He was assured of a 4.3% interest on his account, and he smiled thinking that the money would earn him almost $5,500 each year, a sum on which they could live in luxury.

Both men made the most of their two days stay in St. Louis, making all the purchases they thought necessary. Jim bought a load of books, mostly for Rose and Sam, to further their education. A three-volume encyclopedia from 1861 was packed in wax paper, and so were a number of treatises on courteous conduct and a French textbook.

He also found a gunsmith who sighted in both Jim's rifles and provided Jim with three hundred rounds for his Henry rifle. The gunsmith also had the relatively new Colt Army revolver, in .44 caliber. This was a far more powerful weapon than the Navy Colt. Jim bought four of them, at $22 apiece, for his own and Ned's use. He was also able to buy .44 caliber paper cartridges that would greatly speed up reloading. He was $220 poorer when he left the gunsmith's shop, but he was not sorry for it. With two Army Colts and his Henry, he had up to 28 rounds to fire should the need arise.

Jim also bought a load of toiletry articles from a list the women had written. The wagon master made use of the empty wagons to bring goods to Denver on the return trip, but Jim had bartered with the man to stow most of his own purchases on the wagon. Therefore, he could afford to buy as much as they expected to need over the next year.

They started on the return trip after three days. The wagons carried quite a load, and progress was not faster than on the eastward journey. They made a stop in Independence this time allowing them two nights of comfort in a hotel. The men of the Militia were happy to spend their evenings drinking and gambling. Drink loosened their tongues, however, and one or two of them blabbed about Jim and Albert and the tremendous wealth they were reaping from their mining operation. While most people hardly believed the drunk babble, one man listened up when he heard Jim's name.

Jim was sitting at breakfast with Albert Tennison when a florid faced man in his thirties approached them. Jim took an instinctive dislike to the man whose features bespoke debauchery. This was enforced by the eyepatch the man wore over his left eye socket. In a flash, Jim knew who this man was. Very carefully, he unlatched the Army Colt in its holster.

"You James Tremayne?" the man asked without preamble.

Jim looked the man in his single eye.

"Who wants to know?" he answered brusquely.

"I'm Landon Bunion."

"Well," Jim drawled, a disdainful smile on his lips, "what can I do for you, Mr. Bunion?"

"That Caplan fellow claims you bought that bitch, Rose Donegal, in Fort Laramie and married her."

"I am indeed married to the former Rose Donegal, and I should be grateful if you maintained a civil tongue."

"That damned slut tore my eye out!" Bunion snarled.

"Yes, she told me the story. That is what a man risks when he tries to force a woman," Jim answered coldly.

"She's a whore! I paid her."

"Well, it seems you paid with your eye," Jim grinned, disdain in his voice.

"You!" Bunion growled. "I want restitution for my eye. She's your wife, and you're rich. I want a thousand dollars!"

"As I understand, you were awarded restitution from my wife's forfeited possessions. Anyway, that case was tried over three years ago, and you'll get nothing out of me. Now, if you were to leave us alone, we are having breakfast and your presence spoils my appetite."

"You sure wouldn't want me to show up in Denver telling everybody that your precious wife is a stinking whore!" Bunion threatened.

Jim had difficulties by now to keep his hand off the handle of the Colt.

"Mr. Bunion, you have repeatedly insulted my wife. If you were a gentleman, which I can see you're not, I should have to demand satisfaction from you. Seeing that you are nothing but a drunk lout, a philanderer, and an all-around scoundrel, I shall rather respond like this."

Like a striking snake Jim exploded from his chair and gripped Bunions lapels. Bunion tried to reach for his gun, but Jim already gave him a powerful head-butt, breaking the man's nose and sending him reeling backwards until he crashed into another table. He stalked over to the sprawled man, placed his boot on Bunion's gun hand and bent over him.

"If I ever see you in the streets of Denver, I'll shoot you like the dog you are. If you spread any lies about my wife, I shall come after you with a bull whip, and you will find that all your family's money can't buy you a new skin. You savvy that?"

Bunion stared at him with hatred in his yellow eye, but also with fear. He was having difficulties with breathing with his swelling nose, and he panted though his mouth.

"I'll get even with you," he snarled.

Jim shrugged his shoulders. "Good to know. Mind that I'll shoot you on sight, so you better keep away from me."

"My cousin is the Sheriff. I'll see you in jail for this!"

"I don't think you will," Jim grinned.

A second later, his fist crashed under Bunion's chin and the man was out cold. Jim turned to the waiter.

"Let's bring him into an empty room. Quick! I'll pay for it."

The burly waiter grinned and picked up Bunions upper body. Jim took his feet, and they carried him along the corridor and into an unoccupied room.

"Get me a bottle of whiskey," Jim ordered and gave the man a gold eagle for his troubles.

Again, the waiter grinned and ran downstairs. After dowsing Bunion's front with whiskey, Jim made the slowly waking man swallow more of the firewater. Satisfied that Bunion looked like a slob sleeping off his drunk, he addressed the waiter.

"Wait two hours before you call the Sheriff. Then tell him he showed up drunk and insulted a guest who decked him. I suppose things like that happened to this lout before?"

The waiter made a face. "Only once or twice a month. Used to be more, but his uncle cut him off. Doesn't have the money anymore. Listen, Mr. Tremayne, you married Baltimore Rose?"

"Yes, do you know my wife?"

"Only from work. I worked in the Emerald Saloon before I got the position here. She was the sweetest girl and always tipping us waiters from her takings. It was a shame what they did to her. I'm sure glad she found a good man. Would you please tell her that Andy sends his greetings?"

"Thank you, Andy, I'll do just that. You take care, and if you get in trouble, come to Denver. There is always a need for good waiters, and I know most of the business people."

"I'll think about it, Sir."

Jim dug out another two eagles feeling magnanimous.

"Here, that should give you some reserves."

A half hour later saw the small wagon train on its way out of Independence. Jim rode with Albert Tennison when they cleared the city boundaries. Tennison was silent and clearly not at ease.

"Speak up, Al. What's eating you?" Jim asked after a while.

"Well, you see, I kinda figured something like that, I mean about your wife's past. Seeing how she played and sang in the Golden Nugget, I could tell she was used to singing in a saloon. From there, it wasn't a far stretch. Listen, Jim, all I want to say is, I had a hunch. Now that I know my hunch was dead center, it doesn't change how I feel about you and your wife. She's still a great woman in my mind, and I still think you're a lucky fellow to have found her. Out here in the West, things like that are not what counts. That woman has a heart of gold, no matter what she did to earn her living."

"Thanks, Al. I kinda feel lucky, too. And you have to remember that she found the lode."

"Yup! She's our Million Dollar Woman," Tennison laughed with relief.

Over the next days and weeks, Jim caught many strange looks from the Militia men though, and he began to suspect that Bunion had spread the poison already. He felt a strong urge to return to Independence to finish what he had started, but common sense prevailed. Now more than ever, Rose would need him and his support.

During the last week of the trip, the weather turned really cold. Jim was grateful for the bearskin he had taken with him on one of the pack horses. Rolled into it, he barely felt the cold around him, but the other men shivered badly and had to sit around the fire for most of the nights. The men were miserable by the time they reached Denver in mid-November. Jim and Albert had spoken about some measures to induce the men to keep quiet, and on the last evening, Jim spoke to the Militia men.

"You men have been performing your duty very well, although I would have wished for some of you to have kept your mouths shut about me and my wife, back there in Independence." He could see that the men were uncomfortable at that. "Mr. Tennison and I still plan to show our appreciation by giving out a premium for your good services."

The sergeant took off his hat and collected his courage.

"Mr. Tremayne, Sir, we've heard some stuff about yore wife an' how she had to leave Indie. The boys an' I want ya ter know, we all have great respect fer Mrs. Tremayne. We'll never hurt her, spreading bad things about her. Lord knows, even a good girl when she's got no parents ter look out fer her, can end up in a bad place. We'll keep mum, Sir."

"I appreciate your views, Sergeant. I guess there is more than one person in these parts who'd like to keep his past a secret, eh?"

"That's true, Sir. Can't say there ain't a few states in the Union where I'd rather not show my mug."

That one caused chuckles among the men, chuckles that turned into broad grins when Jim doled out gold eagles to each of the soldiers.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close