A Thousand Years of Peace!
Chapter 12: A knife in the Back in Paradise

Copyright© 2015 by A Carpenter's Son

“Boys and girls, our cleaning ladies and four of the men have gone home. They will be up at 5:00 AM to help with breakfast for us. The plan is to be up and hungry by 6:00 AM.” Big Henry looked around at the smiles, “The community wants you to know we fully appreciate your efforts, and we are amazed at your successes. The fishing today resulted in close to 6,000 fish. Our little team caught the most and were fishing with poles first. So, tomorrow, we eat first.”

Big Henry laughed as his crew cheered, “Now we have something that is a tradition with the fishermen. We take a dip in the river. We put on harnesses and make sure someone has the rope. The men will go first and show you the safe way for your dip.”

“Tony looked around and the last of the families were heading for their cars. Willa had shown him their nest. A plastic tarp on the ground, a beautiful buffalo hides as a cushion and two sleeping bags zipped together. There were also two pillows. Tony realized everyone had seen the nest and agreed to it. He reached into his pocket and there were two packs of rubbers. Without a word, Billy had slipped a three-pack into his hand. When he was talking to John Nation, the chief handed him a three-pack. They were a different kind so at least they did not come out of the same box.

Tony went over to the nest and emptied his pockets of everything. When he went to put his phone under the left pillow, there was Willa’s stuff. There was with her phone, another three-pack of rubbers, again a different kind from the other two brands. Tony emptied his pockets and thought, ‘I’m not to get Willa pregnant. It seems to be a consensus in the families on that. Yesterday, I would never have believed we would be sleeping together. She’s, my queen. I wonder if I could take her to God!’ Tony heard a small girl’s voice say “Yes!” He heard some screaming as one of the girls and one of the boys were taking their dips.

Tony kicked off his shoes and with cutoff jeans and a tee-shirt, he moved toward Willa and the river.

Willa had also taken off her tennis shoes. She had on a tee-shirt and cutoffs like Tony. Tony watched enough to see what the others were doing. When it came time, Tony and Willa held hands as they ran to the edge and jumped in. Tony was on the downstream and just as his head cleared the water, he had Willa in his arms.

He helped the two of them out of the river thankful for the assistance of the ropes and harnesses. Tony removed both harnesses then grabbed his knees as he just laughed. Willa joined in and the two were in heaven on earth just being together.

There was plenty of heat coming from the smokers and the grill. Everyone found a place to warm up and dry off and then Tony and Willa crashed in the nest and simply talked for their first time in their young lives. Willa reached over and kissed Tony as he was falling asleep from the day’s endeavors.

Tony was deep into dreamland. His dream was about flying. He heard Willa scream then he hit the water. He surfaced and heard another splash. He was swimming against the current but losing position. He could see like a fish and saw Willa coming at him underwater.

He grabbed her, then he remembered the big safety rope they had placed there in case someone fell into the river. He raised his arm just in time and was able to snag it. He held onto Willa and asked God for help. Brad jumped in next to him and was also able to catch the rope.

“Tony, you, okay?” Brad asked.

“Willa, she’s passed out.” Tony cried, “I think she’s full of water. She’s not breathing!”

“Hand her to me and work your way over, then I’ll hand her back to you,” Brad suggested.

Together the two boys made the riverbank and Tony closed his eyes and started chanting, “Take us to God. Take us to God. Take us to God!”

“Tony, you did it, we’re there.” Brad shared. He had to tap Tony’s shoulder to get his attention.

“Oh good, GAIA, little sister, where are you? HELP.” Tony picked up Willa and took her to the Christ Ports. Gaia met them and helped ease Willa down to a recovery position as she started coughing up the water in her lungs. Tony looked to Brad, “Thank you for watching my back.”

“Got us both in the drink. You were already flying towards the river when Willa screamed and jumped on the guy’s back. She got him good, but he hit her in the face and then tossed her in the river. I jumped on his back and tried to choke him, and he just tossed me off. Big Henry came up and gave him a bear hug and the guy had his knife out and stabbed Big Henry in the back.

I hit him again and he just spun me around and tossed me in the river. There was one more splash and I couldn’t tell if it was that guy or Big Henry. I hope to see Big Henry again.” Brad shared.

“Who is that guy?” Tony asked.

“Scott ... Tennis.” Willa whispered as she opened her eyes and coughed several more times.

“Gaia is Big Henry going to be, okay?” Brad asked.

“Papa John is with him now. He will be okay.” Gaia shared.

After several minutes, “Can we go home?” Willa asked.

“I don’t know, I got us here. Gaia, can you help?” Tony asked.

“Okay, have a seat big brother.” Gaia smiled and pointed to the Christ Ports.

At the Taylor house:

About the time Tony was flying, John sat up and said “Something’s wrong” to Jenny.

They heard a knock on the door. Becky and Sally were holding a sobbing Willy, saying over and over “Tony, Tony, Tony.”

“Becky, can you watch the kids?” Jenny asked.

“Yes!” Becky just barely got out of her mouth when they disappeared. Becky thought out loud, “How do they do that?” She heard, “You will learn how.” Becky was a 14-year-old teacher’s assistant in Everett when “Grab the Kids and Run” went into effect. Jenny found her at the Junior High. She had nowhere to go, and her folks did not make it.

Jenny offered her a deal. Help run the house, room, and board with a $40 a week allowance and the family would cover all her expenses while in high school and college. Becky had moved in a few days after the honeymoon.

At the fishing hole:

John and Jenny found everyone standing around with Big Henry on his knees. He was facing downstream in a daze.

“Are you still with us Henry?” John asked as he kneeled beside the big man. Jenny was behind him ready to remove the knife.

“I broke his neck. Should’ve done that years ago. That Tennis boy was no good. That whole dam line has been nothing but trouble.” Big Henry sat back onto his heels.

John nodded to Jenny, and she pulled with all her might and the knife slipped out. John moved his right hand up to cover the wound, “That knife was stuck in a rib, and it was just long enough to scratch your heart. Give me a few minutes.”

Jenny came over and laid one on Big Henry, “That’s for trying to protect my son and future daughter,” Jenny said at the look of shock on the faces of both men.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close