Patrick
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2011 by Pedant

Dad wasn't amused when he picked us up, but I let Rachel do the narrating as an innocent bystander and he was chuckling when he let us off at home.

"Be tactful when you tell your mothers," he advised. "But tell it all. And make sure you tell Rob. You can handle lunch, right?"

"Da-a-ad!"

"Okay. I'll be back about 1730 or 1800."

Rob was home, so we told him the whole tale, again. He chuckled, too. "Your mothers will be horrified and aghast," he said. "But I understand. And you've both been under a lot of pressure. Rachel must be concerned about her grandparents and about what will happen at Perth College. You must have been stressed about Rachel's being away. And you've had other problems at that school, haven't you?"

"Yes. Even before. But Mr. Simmonds is especially – unh – annoying. And I can't do anything, because it's the only Six."

"Right. You know I've had problems, too."

"Yes. That's why you're here."

"Yes. I was very happy with Mary. Happy for over ten years. But she's gone." He paused. "There's nothing I can do about it. So ... I've got to deal with it." When does school begin, Pat?"

"0845."

"When is it over?"

"1530."

"That's over six hours. Minus lunch and recess and gym, I suppose."

"Yes." I saw where he was going.

"Maybe 25 hours a week for about 24 more weeks?"

"Probably a bit less."

"Under 600 hours."

"I guess so."

"You'll live through it. Especially now that Rachel's here. You'll help Pat live through Mr. Simmonds, won't you?"

"Yes, sir."

"'Precautionary admonition'? That's what you said?"

"Yes."

"Wonderful!"

We went into the kitchen to fix something to eat. I felt a lot better. Dad had thought it was funny and Rob seemed supportive. As Dad said, we only had the mothers to worry about.

Rachel said: "I know a Japanese story!"

"Can you tell it to us?" asked Rob.

"Yes.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close