Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 253: Toward a New Age

(The prosperous-looking dojo. Yahiko enters the front gate.)

Yahiko: Acting master Myoujin Yahiko coming in...

(A little boy, the spitting image of Kenshin, is sitting on the roof bawling his eyes out.)

Yahiko: Not again, Kenji. You climb up and get too scared to climb down?

(He hooks his sword on the back of Kenji's robe and swings him down. Kenji goes limp, relieved.)

Yahiko: You may look like a little Kenshin, but you're really just a little idiot ... I don't know how you're going to carry on the dojo--

(Kaoru pegs him with a sandal.)

Kaoru: Hey! Quit picking on my son, or I'll really get mad!

Yahiko (swinging Kenji around to her): Who's picking on him? I saved him!

(Kenji gurgles and holds out his arms to be picked up--he loves his mom.)

Kaoru: Oh, so you did. (taking him in her arms) Were you scared? I'm so sorry.

Yahiko: You should be apologizing to me.

Kenshin: Yahiko. I'm sorry to call you out here in this heat.

Yahiko: Kenshin.

(Inside the dojo. The wall bears a large number of students' nameplates; Kaoru is listed as master, Yahiko and Tsukayama Yutarou as assistant masters, Shinichi Kozaburo and Higashidani Outa as students... )

Yahiko: What is it? If you want to arrange for outside practice at a new dojo I could--

(Kenshin puts hand to his sword.)

Kenshin: Take your stance, Yahiko. A one-point match. All right?

(Yahiko looks startled. Kaoru steps forward.)

Kaoru: Yahiko. Have you forgotten what day it is today? Today is your fifteenth birthday. You've heard, haven't you, that warriors long ago were recognized as men when they became fifteen...

(Yahiko remembers Sanosuke telling him, "It's called genpuku. It's what you're aiming for as a swordsman. Remember that.")

Yahiko (thinking): So that's it. Kenshin is testing me to see if I've truly become a man ... But ... Those instincts! That presence! Even if he hardly ever uses the Hiten Mitsurugi-ryuu anymore, he's the greatest living swordsman there is, a true legend...

Kenshin (as if sensing his thoughts): Don't be afraid. You've resolved to follow the path of the sword. Remember all the battles of your life. The battles you've seen with your eyes. The battle you heard with your ears ... The battles you embraced with your own skill ... And all the battles you carry within you. If you concentrate all your strength behind that one blow, it will be enough.

(Yahiko is suddenly struck by all the warriors, all fighting for their own reasons, that he's seen over the years. He takes his stance.)

Kenshin: It will be enough. Miss Kaoru?

(Still holding Kenji, Kaoru steps forward with one arm raised.)

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close