Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 251: Days of Indian Summer

(At the Kamiya dojo, everyone is in the yard while Kaoru and Kenshin are doing laundry. They all look up at Aoshi in surprise.)

Aoshi: We're going back to Kyoto. It's a good time.

Kenshin: A good time?

Misao: What? What? What? But we haven't even gone to Akakusa or the Ginza!

Yahiko: You didn't come here to sightsee. Go home!

Aoshi: We'll leave tomorrow with Takani Megumi. That way you'll only have to say goodbye once.

Kaoru (thinking): Always the man of few words ... I never really understood him.

(That evening. Kaoru enters Misao's room, to find Misao alone, slumped on the floor clutching her traveling bag.)

Kaoru: Misao, I brought you something to give Okina and the others ... Hm? Where's Aoshi?

Misao (mournfully): He went out with Himura ... They said something about tea or something...

Kaoru: Tea?

(Misao clutches at Kaoru miserably; Kaoru pats her absently on the head.)

(Misao: I wanna stay here more... )

(Kaoru remembers Aoshi saying, "If it were tea, I would be happy to.")

Kaoru: That's right...

(In another room, Aoshi and Kenshin are drinking tea.)

Kenshin: I'm sorry this was so sudden. I didn't know when we'd get another chance.

Aoshi: That's fine.

Kenshin: You were a great help to us. I want to thank you for that.

Aoshi: That's all right.

Kenshin: You call yourself a villain. But don't kill more than you have to.

Aoshi: As a general rule? For now, let's say that's something I agree with.

(He rises to go, just as Kaoru comes in with a tray.)

Kaoru: I brought some sweets...

Aoshi (brushing past her): No thank you. We're finished.

Kaoru: I wanted to say you really--

Aoshi: Himura already thanked me.

Kaoru (thinking): I just don't understand him...

Kenshin: Oh, is that sponge cake?

Kaoru: Um, yes. Would you like some?

Misao (tugging on Aoshi's sleeves and whining): Aoshi ... Are we really leaving tomorrow?

Aoshi: Yes.

Kenshin: If Miss Misao wants to, Aoshi, why don't you stay a while longer? (Munch munch. This is delicious.)

Misao: Himura!

Kaoru: Or, Misao could stay by herself. (Misao, do you want some cake?)

Misao: Kaoru!

Aoshi: The seasons are shorter in the mountains than on the plains. If we wait much longer the ground will freeze and we'll have to wait until spring. We must lay our dead to rest in a sunnier place before that.

(Misao suddenly realizes what he's talking about.)

Misao: Himura, Kaoru! I'm sorry. But I have to go home with everyone.

Kenshin: That's best.

Misao (running off): Aoshi!

Kaoru: So that's it...

Kenshin: If you think about it, Aoshi's lived through a harsh past that strangers can't easily understand. All those hardships have had some effect on his character...

Kaoru: You're right. (thinking) But even if strangers can't understand him, Aoshi has what he needs. A place of rest, and the true essence of love...

The next day. Aoshi and Misao left by the first train for Shimbashi Station. And then--

(Everyone is in the town square saying goodbye to Megumi.)

Megumi: We didn't know each other very long, but thank you for all you've done for me.

Kaoru (thinking): Megumi's leaving...

Yahiko: Hey, are you walking back or what?

Megumi: Hardly. A friend of Dr. Oguni's is going to take me by carriage for me, look.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close