Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 233: The Snow I saw that Day was so White.

(The end of the day at the Oguni Clinic. Megumi is preparing to go home when she hears a banging at the door.)

Megumi: What's that? Must be an emergency...

(She opens the door to see Sanosuke, dripping with sweat.)

Sanosuke: Hey.

(He holds up his bloodied and bandaged right hand.)

Sanosuke: I messed it up again. You want to check it out for me?

Megumi (exploding): I don't have any medicine for stupidity! I told you that!

Sanosuke: Ow!

(A little later. Sanosuke's hand is now swathed in a huge cast labeled "DO NOT USE.")

Megumi: You ran all the way back from Shinshu in one day?

Sanosuke: If a man tries he can do anything.

Megumi: I bet that's the Japanese record.

Sanosuke: Probably.

Megumi: For stupidity. I never would have thought you'd disappear to Shinshu. Why'd you go so far?

Sanosuke: Well, it's a long story, but I guess you could sum it up and say, for the fights.

Megumi: With that one word you made the Asian stupidity record. (taking off her handkerchief) Anyway, I'm glad you're in time. One day later and they'd have left you behind.

Sanosuke (putting his jacket back on): Yeah?

Megumi: A lot of stuff happened while you were off being stupid. All right? Now keep quiet and listen to me...

(In the patients' room, Tsubame has fallen asleep sitting beside Yahiko's bed. The wind blows through the curtain, and Yahiko sits up.)

Tsubame: Yahiko!

Yahiko: I'm hungry.

(He stumbles out of bed and heads for the door.)

Yahiko: I lost a lot of blood. I need to eat...

Tsubame (snatching up his clothes and following him): W-wait a minute!

(In the same room, Kenshin is asleep and dreaming.)

(He is sitting in Rakuminmura amid falling snow. Tomoe slowly approaches him.)

Tomoe: ... So you're still too tired to stand?

Kenshin: Not really ... I'm just going to rest a little longer.

(A little pause.)

Kenshin: It's been fifteen years since that snowy day. I've been wielding the sword ever since.

Tomoe: ... I know.

Kenshin: And I'm most likely going to keep on using it.

Tomoe (with just the trace of a smile): I know.

Kenshin: You finally smiled.

Tomoe: Yes ... When you smile, the me inside of you is always smiling.

Kenshin: Really?

Tomoe: Yes. It's always been that way. Take care of Enishi. The me inside of him probably isn't smiling right now. And after that...

Kenshin: What?

Tomoe: After that...

(Kenshin's eyes open with surprise.)

(Sanosuke and Yahiko are wolfing down piles of food, as the girls look on.)

Yahiko: I mean, I'm glad you're back, but are you sure you're okay? You could bust a gut eating like that.

Sanosuke: Shut up. You're pushing it even being out of bed. You might drop dead at any minute.

Yahiko: Hey! Don't eat that, that's mine!

Sanosuke:Food belongs to whoever gets there first.

Yahiko: Tsubame, more rice!

Tsubame: All right!

Sanosuke: Fox-girl! Tea!

Megumi: Get it yourself!

(Finally full, they pause to breathe a little.)

Yahiko: All right!

Sanosuke: Let's go!

(They barrel down the hall.)

Megumi: Wait!

Sanosuke: No. The girl's alive. Kenshin's back. There's only one thing left to do-- get Kenshin out of bed and storm the island!

Megumi: That may be so, but Ken-san is still in a state of exhaustion. You can't wake him up now! Anyway, if you just flat-out tell him she's alive, the shock would be too much for him.

Sanosuke: The police boat is leaving tonight. If we want to make, we don't have a choice.

Tsubame: Yahiko...

Yahiko: He'll be fine. Kenshin isn't that weak.

(Sanosuke opens the door, to find Kenshin awake and dressed. They're all silent for a moment.)

Yahiko: Kenshin...

Kenshin: I'm sorry to have caused you so much trouble. But I'm all right now. Now let's go. Take me to Miss Kaoru!

Everyone (with shocked and happy smiles): Right!

Tomoe: After that ... After that the girl who's most longed to see your smile is waiting for you. Wake up and go to her.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close