Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 232: A Man's Back 7--The Back Speaks

(They survey the battered remains of Fudozawa's forces.)

Higashidani: You took out two hundred men? ... Damn.

Sanosuke: Idiot. I held back a little. Nobody died.

Higashidani: You held back a little?

Sanosuke: Just a little. (looking at the fallen Fudozawa) But he got what he deserved. He's not going to be making a comeback.

Higashidani: Well ... time I got home.

Sanosuke: Yeah ... time I got going.

(They walk off; Higashidani carrying Outa on his back.)

Sanosuke: He asleep?

Higashidani: Yeah. He's always asleep by this time. He did his best to get out here and fight. He's tired ... He doesn't look like much, but he's got my blood in him. When it's time to fight, he'll fight. Deep in his heart he wants to be strong.

Sanosuke: So it's Uki's fault he's the way he is.

Higashidani: That's your fault.

Sanosuke: ... Guess you're right.

Higashidani: The reason Uki's such a worrywart, to tell the truth, is cause you took off. She was always tagging along after you. You know how much she cried when you left? You may be an idiot, but she worshipped you. When we heard you'd joined the Sekihoutai, she kept saying she wanted to go too ... And when we heard that Sekihoutai'd been destroyed she wouldn't stop crying ... I thought she'd settle down when Outa was born, but when Naname died it was the same thing all over again. (aside) You remember your mother's name was Naname?

Sanosuke: (likewise) I remember that. (in a normal tone of voice) So more than anything she's afraid of losing her family.

Have you seen my dad? He's gone! Higashidani: Outa kind of senses this and keeps quiet, like he's trying to play his part. If I help Uki, I can't help Outa; if I help Outa it won't help Uki. But now that my oldest son is home, things'll work out...

(They give each other a sidelong glance, and suddenly burst out laughing.)

Sanosuke: That was a stupid thing to say.

Higashidani: Yeah, it was. I'll look after Uki and Outa till they grow up, protect 'em. You get on out of here.

Sanosuke: Yeah, I'll go. I got no one to protect and no home to go back to. (gesturing to his back) Long as I got his, that's enough. They might have political power, physical strength, whatever. With this on my back, I can fight like they did, staking everything for their ideals, fighting to protect what can't be replaced...

Higashidani: A man...

Sanosuke: Yeah?

Higashidani: A man grows up looking at the back of the man in front of him. You've been watching the backs of some good men ... If I could've, I would've liked to have raised you watching mine...

Sanosuke: Don't sound so pathetic. You raised me fine until I was ten. Well...

(They reach a fork in the road.)

Sanosuke: Here's where I gotta get going.

Higashidani: Tokyo?

Sanosuke: Yeah. There's a guy there I can't turn my back on. And someone else who's seen me do something wrong. (patting Outa) Hey, round-cheeks. Wake up. Sorry I was so rough on you before. Glad to see you turned out to be the kind that fights when you have to. It's tough, but pretty soon--until your sister gets married and starts her own family, you have to be a good little brother to her. Then, if you can, come up to Tokyo and try training at the Kamiya Kasshin school. You'll be stronger then. Good luck.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close