Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 229: A Man's Back 4--Touch & Go

Fudozawa: What the hell you think you're doing, street fighter?

Sanosuke: Nothing. I just don't need you interfering in a fight you gave to me.

Fudozawa: Don't get too far above yourself, kid...

Tani (stepping forward): So this is the street fighter you mentioned the other night. You've got guts, but I've afraid we won't be needing your services any longer. We'll take it from here. Let's just settle up now. Don't worry, I'll pay your asking price. How much do we owe you, hm?

Sanosuke: Haven't I seen you around somewhere before?

Tani (taken aback): Ridiculous. Where would I meet someone like you?

Sanosuke: No, I know I've met you before. I couldn't forget a weird smile like that. That's it! You're the pork-bun from the time with Jin'eh!

(See Volume Two.)

Tani: Pork...

(He recalls Sanosuke beating him up.)

Sanosuke: So you didn't learn your lesson, just ran out to the country to play king of the mountain with a bunch of yakuza. If you want to be king of the mountain, you should at least evolve from a pig to a monkey.

Uki (stifling a giggle and thinking): I hate to admit it, but he's good at this...

Tani: Let's go, Fudozawa!

Fudozawa: Uncle?

Tani: We're going home!

(He stalks off.)

Fudozawa (to Sanosuke): You keep this up, you're not gonna live to an old age, kid.

Sanosuke: You're just an M-baldy. Don't talk to me like you're a cop.

Fudozawa: Let's go, men! We're done here for today!

Crowd: Wow, he chased off Fudozawa! Serves him right too!

(Uki breathes a sigh of relief.)

Sanosuke: Good.

(Higashidani pops him one.)

Higashidani: Not good! You idiot! Here I am putting up with this bullshit and you march in and start a fight!

Sanosuke: You jealous, you has-been?

Higashidani: Who's a has-been?

Uki: That's enough you two!

(Elsewhere)

Fudozawa: Why, uncle? You let one street fighter make you back down. Don't tell me you thought I couldn't handle him.

Tani: That's not it! Him I could crush! The problem is a man he has connections to. (thinking of Kenshin) If he becomes our enemy, even with an army we wouldn't have a chance. If we slip up here, all of the Choushuu faction, starting with Yamagata Aritomo, could turn against me ... My political career would be ruined. If he gets involved, this will be much bigger than a little country waystation. Fudozawa! No more delay! Settle this tonight. Finish this before he realizes what's going on and comes out to Shinshuu. I don't care how you do it! Crush them until there's no proof left! Make them disappear!

Fudozawa: You got it. I've been waiting to hear those words. This roundabout approach just isn't my style.

(That night, at the Higashidani house. Uki glumly piles rice into a bowl.)

Uki: We didn't get any money for the hats. Dad got in another fight. Nothing good happened today at all.

Sanosuke: Damn straight.

Uki: And you're the worst part of all! Look at you, sitting in our house like you belong here!

Sanosuke: Tell that to the guy who let me in.

Higashidani: He's so stupid I can't stand to look at him. I'm going to teach him a thing or two if it takes me all night.

(They punch each other.)

Uki: If you're going to kick up dust do it after dinner!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close