Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 213: Three Days' Work

Based on what I've found, I'm guessing he'll have a base in the Arakawa rivermouth area. (Yahiko and Misao charge through Arakawa.)

Find Yukishiro Enishi's hideout! Even if Kaoru's not there, there'll be some clue! There has to be! (They collapse, out of breath.)

Misao: Arakawa is too big!

Yahiko: Don't say that! You'll make it seem bigger.

Misao: Late summer is too hot!

Yahiko: Don't say that! You make it seem hotter.

Misao: But over the past three days we've checked this whole bank.

Yahiko: Just the other bank left! Half there!

Misao: But it's not like we can say "Is this the hideout?" and they'll say "Why yes it is"...

Yahiko: Don't say that either.

Misao: Well, we could spring a question suddenly, and if their response is suspicious we could check it out.

Yahiko: Anyway, let's head home. If we don't get going it'll be dark before we get back.

Misao: The dojo is so far...

Yahiko: All you do is complain.

Misao: But Lord Aoshi doesn't care at all! He's always gone when we get back! (We're like two ships in the night... )

Yahiko: So that's it. You're not a little kid! Put up with it until we find Kaoru!

Misao: What?!

(On the island, Kaoru stares out at the empty bay from the kitchen window.)

Kaoru (thinking): So in the end the ferry left. My escape was a failure. Four days until the next one comes ... Until then, I'm alone here with Yukishiro Enishi. Not a good situation... (chopping angrily at a radish) So why does his precious hostage have to cook for herself! Cooking is harder than selling arms! If he has all this money he should hire a maid! (she stops.) Come to think of it...

(Enishi is on the balcony; Kaoru brings him a tray with some rice, miso soup and fish.)

Enishi: ... What are you doing.

Kaoru: Nothing. Only if you're cooking for one you might as well cook for two. You've barely eaten anything since you've been here. I know no one's using the kitchen but me. So eat up!

(She turns to go.)

Kaoru (thinking): I've thought about for three days--the weakness I saw in him--if I attack the scars on his heart, it could make my sudden escape easier than I thought-- (aloud) You can wash your own dishes. (thinking) But ... this doesn't change the fact that his Earthly Justice was a cruel trick on Kenshin ... I don't like this. (sighing) I'm too nice...

(Enishi remembers Tomoe greeting him long ago: "You must be hungry. Wait a minute, I was just making dinner...")

(He picks up the miso soup and sips it.)

Enishi: It tastes bad...

(When Yahiko and Misao arrive at the dojo, Oibore is sitting waiting for them.)

Misao: Oibore!

Oibore: Hey.

Yahiko: What are you doing here?

Oibore: On my weekly begging rounds. Give me something?

Misao: Oh, well, you want dinner?

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close