Himura_battousai
Chapter 212: Enishi's Lapse

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(Rowboats begin unloading goods from the ferry ship.)

Kaoru: It's here ... My chance to escape. The ferry. (thinking) I'm getting on that boat! It's the only way off this island! I don't stand a chance in a direct confrontation. I don't know a thing about navigation, so it'd be impossible to cross the ocean by myself. Even if I snuck on as a stowaway, on that little ship I'd be discovered long before we reached Tokyo. After I secure my own safety, I'll make them maneuver into Tokyo. To do that--

(She pulls the handle off a broom, forming a makeshift bokutou.)

(Gein walks down the beach.)

Gein: Finally it's goodbye to this place.

(A short man, surrounded by four stout bodyguards, stands before him.)

Man: How do you do, Mister Gein. I've heard a great deal about you from the boss.

Gein: And you must be the fabled Number Two.

Man: Wu Heishin. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance.

Gein (holding out his hand to shake): Likewise.

(Two bodyguards hold their hands to block him.)

Heishin: Please don't misunderstand. I lack the boss's skill with weapons. My bodyguards, the Four Stars, are under orders not to allow anyone near me. Where is the boss?

Gein: If you mean Enishi, he's in the house on the cliff. I'm the only one going to Tokyo.

Heishin: Is that so? Then please board. Your luggage will be seen to.

Gein: What about you?

Heishin: I will remain here. The police have been rather active, so it's best I lay low.

(He and his bodyguards walk off towards the house.)

Gein (thinking): As opposed to the daring Enishi, who rules by fear, the prudent strategist Heishin, who rules by planning ... He's much as I've heard. The delicate balance between them has guided the organization for many years ... But, to put it another way, if either of them moved to disturb that balance... (shrugging) Oh, well, it's got nothing to do with me.

(Heishin finds Enishi sitting on the balcony.)

Heishin: It's been some time.

Enishi: Heishin. When did you get in from Shanghai?

Heishin: The other day. To see to our launch in Tokyo, and because news reached me that your personal matter was nearly concluded. I came to confirm that you hadn't forgotten your promise.

Enishi: Never trust anyone, eh. You run true to form. I didn't forget. "In exchange for the organization's resources as support for my revenge, I'll give it all over to you." What I wanted was the manpower and resources to make my Earthly Justice possible. The two combined meant an arms-dealing organization. Once my aim is accomplished, I have no further interest in it.

Heishin: I'm relieved to hear you say that. I'll be occupying the private mansion for some time. In the event you have any use for me, please let me know.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close