Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 194: The Wolf's Blue Smoke

Kamiya Kasshin school succession technique attack Hawatari!

(As Otowa falls backwards Yahiko is thrown over is head. Otowa's face is frozen in a huge mad grin.)

Yahiko (thinking): I ... got him ... No! He's still not out. I have to get up. (pulling himself to his feet) If I stay down--I'll lose...

(He slumps forward, but Kenshin catches him.)

(A little later. Yahiko is stretched out on the ground, and Megumi is tending his wounds.)

Megumi: It's all right. The wounds missed the tendons and internal organs. It's a lot easier to deal with than a certain idiot's right hand.

Sanosuke: Thanks a lot. (looking over at Otowa) But ... He must not have any regrets if he died laughing.

(Megumi: He's not dead.)

Kenshin: He was beaten by a child less than half his own age. He can't believe his own defeat.

Sanosuke: I guess. Didn't look that way towards the end though. He saw you halfway through and got scared. He was thinking about running away. The difference between a guy thinking about retreat and a guy concentrating on the attack will come out in the moment of truth.

Kenshin: Sano--

Sanosuke: I know. I won't tell Yahiko about this. Telling him he won cause you glared at him behind his back isn't going to help his spirits any. Right?

Kenshin: Yes. If it was Yahiko who fought, then it was Yahiko who won.

Sanosuke (to Kaoru): How was he, adjutant master? Your star pupil.

(Kaoru is still staring at Yahiko in shock.)

Megumi: Pathetic. The pupil is fighting hard and the master is frozen with fear.

Kaoru: I was not! It's not like that. More than seeing him win with the Hawatari, I was just glad to see him safe...

Megumi: So you froze up. Pathetic.

Sanosuke: Yeah.

Kaoru: I was not!

(Outside the ruined dojo, another figure appears, smoking a cigarette.)

Saitou: Only you would be such fools as to stand around chatting in the midst of a fight.

(Kenshin and Sanosuke turn--but Enishi hasn't moved. However, the basket of the balloon behind him is empty.)

Enishi: Don't look so worried. I didn't come this far to launch a surprise attack. At least, I didn't.

Kenshin: Miss Kaoru!

(Kaoru is still sitting at the dojo door.)

Kenshin: Hurry, this way!

(Kaoru turns. One of the ceiling panels is crooked, and she glimpses eyes peering out through it.)

Kaoru (thinking): Someone's there!

(A giant arm, tipped with five claws on the fingers, punches through the ceiling and rakes towards her. Kenshin snatches her out of the way.)

Kenshin: You... !

(Mumyoui is perched on the dojo roof.)

Mumyoui: You were always so chivalrous.

Kaoru: That ... that man ... His arms and legs are half again as long as they should be.

Kenshin: Yes ... using those arms and legs he can attack freely from the shadows and corners. But what's incomprehensible is his left arm ... It's even long than before...

Mumyoui: It took me fifteen years to stretch it like this. At the time I was past my growth spurt, so it was pretty difficult.

Kaoru: Stretch it?

Mumyoui: You don't think I was born like this, do you? This body once won fame among the mining circles. The secret of the Yatsume clan. The mining groups work the gold seams to raise funds for the rulers of the ages ... These groups are in close competition to produce as much gold as they can. Thus, the Yatsume body manipulation was developed. As soon as a child is born, iron rings are placed on his arms and legs, to make it easier to work underground. It's just like the neck-lengthening found in Africa, or foot-binding in China. This body was honored as a means to prosperity! That's why our absolute law is to kill all outsiders who see us! First you, Battousai! Then everyone here!

Saitou: He talks a lot for a freak.

Sanosuke: You ... you're alive...

Saitou: You sound surprised. I slipped through the jaws of death at Ikedaya, Boshin, Seinan ... The only one of the Shinsengumi they called immortal.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close