Himura_battousai
Chapter 182: Fireworks

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(Kujiranami, Mumyoui, Banjin and Otowa are gathered looking at something with expressions of amazement on their faces.)

Otowa: These are--

Enishi: Have you forgotten? These are the upgraded weapons I spoke of earlier. Please, use them to the best of your abilities. Well, the sun will be setting soon. Shall we go? To deliver up our earthly justice ... Let us go to our long-awaited day in style!

(At the Kamiya dojo. Everyone is waiting in the yard.)

Kaoru: The sun's gone down...

Yahiko: Yeah...

Sanosuke: There's just four or five hours left of today. (to Yahiko) Did you see the little girl home?

Yahiko: Yeah.

Kaoru: Poor Tsubame.

Megumi: There was no choice. It's too dangerous here.

(A flashback to earlier that day.)

Kenshin: I'll be here at first. Sano, take the front garden and the dojo area. I leave its defense to your judgment. Miss Kaoru, Yahiko, stay inside the dojo. Make defending yourself your first priority. However, Yahiko, if worst comes to worst, I'll allow you to come out to the attack.

Yahiko: R-right! (burning with resolve) I'll do it!

Sanosuke: You sure about that?

Kenshin: He'll be all right. (I think.)

Kaoru: I knew it was too soon for him...

Megumi: Shouldn't he stay inside?

Kenshin: Miss Megumi, you'll be inside the dojo as well. Take care of the wounded.

Megumi: Leave it to me. No matter how badly you're hurt, I'll fix you up, as long as you're not dead.

Sanosuke: What're you looking at me for?

Tsubame: And ... me?

Kenshin: Miss Tsubame, you'll take refuge at the new Akabeko.

Tsubame: But--!

Kenshin: At this late date, Enishi won't attack the Akabeko again. You'll be far safer there than you are here.

Tsubame: You're right ... If I stayed here, I'd only be in your way.

(Yahiko pats her on the back of the head.)

Yahiko: I'll walk you home.

Tsubame (still looking crushed): Okay.

Yahiko: Don't worry. Nobody here is going to die. We're all going to live, and we're all going to see you again.

Kenshin: ... Just as he says.

(Tsubame smiles.) Tsubame: All right.

(End flashback.)

Kenshin (thinking): He's right. None of us will die. We'll live through this.

Kaoru: Kenshin, dinner. Do you want some rice balls?

Kenshin: I'll just have some tea.

Kaoru: I guess Misao didn't make it in time...

Kenshin: What?

Kaoru: Oh, nothing.

Yahiko: They're taking their time. If they're coming they should just come. How do you think they'll attack first?

Sanosuke: No question about it. They'll start out with a blast from that cannon--

(The sound of an explosion.)

Yahiko: They're here!

(Fireworks light up the sky.)

Yahiko: It's just fireworks. Sure made me jump.

Sanosuke: It must be a summer festival day.

Kaoru: Every year, after the festivals are over, it's suddenly autumn ... The winds start blowing colder, the skies are clear...

(There's one patch of sky that's dark amidst all the fireworks.)

Kaoru: Look, that one's not going off. Is it a dud?

Megumi: There's one lower down, too.

Kenshin: No ... No! Those aren't fireworks! Those are--

(The dark shapes move closer--they are four hot air balloons, holding Enishi and the others.)

Enishi: Now is the time of earthly justice.

Yahiko: Balloons?!

Kenshin: The cutting edge of military technology, first used in the Seinan War. I can't believe he'd go so far...

(The balloons move closer to the dojo.)

Banjin: Now this is style!

Otowa: It's completely useless for attack, but as far as moving in quickly, it's ideal.

Kujiranami: Battousai ... Battousai!

(He leaps from his balloon.)

Gein: You don't mind? He's jumping the gun a bit.

Enishi: They're done so well thus far. Let them have a little glory.

(Still falling, Kujiranami levels his arm-cannon for a shot.)

Megumi: The cannon!

Kaoru: He's going to fire from mid-air?

Kenshin: Sano! I'm going to jump! Lend me your fist!

(He runs and leaps, landing with his foot on Sanosuke's fist just as Sanosuke punches, sending him even higher in the air.)

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close