Himura_battousai
Chapter 171: Remembrances 8--Enishi's Visit

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(Two young boys brandish sticks like swords.)

Boy: I am the Choushuu patriot Katsura Kogorou!

Boy: And I am Takasugi Shinsaku!

Kenshin (holding up two sticks and looking embarrassed): Beware, you fools. I am the captain of the Shinsengumi, the demons who silence crying children, Koudou Isami. My blade Kotetsu will drink blood tonight.

(They attack, and he fends them off. The other children are looking at something, and Kenshin glances up to see what it is. A sullen-looking boy appears a little ways off.)

Kenshin: Who is that?

Kids: I don't know. He's not from the village. Maybe he wants to play with us.

Boy: I'll go ask him!

(They talk for a minute. Then Enishi hits him.)

Kenshin (running over): Hey!

(Enishi bites his hand.)

Tomoe: Enishi? Enishi, is that you?

Enishi: Tomoe!

(Inside.)

Tomoe: This is my brother, Enishi.

Kenshin: Your brother ... Now that you mention, you have the same eyes...

(He goes to pat his head, and Enishi bites his hand again.)

Kenshin: You probably have lots of things you want to talk about ... I'll be outside.

(The kids are playing again; Kenshin sits by the side of the field.)

Kenshin (thinking): So Tomoe has a brother ... she never mentioned him before. Not that that's surprising ... But how did he know to come here? This is a safe house. No one but Katsura and Iizuka is supposed to know about it. The only one else who knows is Tomoe ... But it can't have been her.

Kid: What's wrong? You're not playing with us?

Kenshin: Oh, sorry. I'll be right there. (thinking) No matter how I try I can't make anything of it. Except ... it might be hard to have that peaceful New Year's now...

(Inside, Tomoe hugs Enishi.)

Tomoe: It's been a long time. You surprised me. But I'm so glad to see you. You must be hungry. Wait a minute, I was just making dinner. (turning to stir the pot) When did you leave Edo? How is Father?

Enishi: I don't know. I left for Kyoto a year ago, just after you did.

Tomoe: Enishi ... Who's been taking care of you? And how did you know I was here? You never heard anything from me...

Enishi: I knew. I have connections. You should be happy, Tomoe. The time of Heaven's Justice has finally come for Battousai.

(Tomoe drops the spoon.)

Tomoe: Enishi ... then you're the...

Enishi: You didn't know? That's funny. They said they'd already told you all about it.

(Flashback: Tomoe is seated before the three men Katakai saw talking to Iizuka.)

Tatsumi: When the time comes, once he trusts you, we'll send someone you know. I can't tell you who or by what means. Just work your way close to him and continue watching him closely. Watch him until you know the meaning behind his every movement. Once you find his weakness, your goal and our victory is accomplished-- (End of flashback. Tomoe looks shocked.)

Enishi: Let's go, Tomoe! You're finally done here!

Tomoe: ... Go back to Edo.

Enishi: What?

Tomoe: You're the eldest son of the Yukishiro family. I can't let you dirty your hands with this.

Enishi: I don't care about the family! I want to help you!

Tomoe: Go back home, Enishi.

(A moment's pause. Enishi is almost in tears.)

Enishi: What is it? Something happened to you. Why won't you come with me? Why are you protecting him! He's your enemy! He's the one that stole your happiness!

(Outside, the sun is setting. The kids are going home.)

Kids: See you tomorrow!

Kenshin: Okay. Take care. Hm?

(He sees Enishi walking along the road by himself.)

Kenshin: Where are you going? It's almost time for dinner--

(Enishi gives him a look full of hate.)

Enishi: You ... If only you hadn't been there...

(He rushes off. Kenshin watches him go.)

(Inside, Tomoe is writing in her diary.)

Kenshin (coming inside): Hey, where is he going--

(Tomoe slams the diary shut, with a violence that startles him.)

Kenshin: What is it?

Tomoe: Um. Enishi's going back to Edo.

Kenshin: To Edo...

Tomoe: I never told you. You were probably wondering about me. Up till now I thought I wouldn't tell you anything ... But, maybe this is a good chance. For us to talk.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close