Himura_battousai
Chapter 165: Remembrances 3--A Man and a Woman in a Rain of Blood

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Battousai (thinking): I started drinking about half a year ago. About the time I got the scar on my cheek ... I never liked the taste, but lately all I can taste is blood ... My master taught me the sword, but I learned to drink on my own.

(Behind him, Tomoe downs her cup in one gulp. The bar looks on with admiration. Two roughnecks elbow each other.)

Roughneck 1: Hey?

Roughneck 2: Yeah.

(They walk over and slam a bottle down on her table.)

Roughneck 2: Hey, woman!

Roughneck 1: Have a drink with us!

Roughneck 2: We're Aizu patriots! We risk our lives day and night for the common people! Drinking with us is the least you could do to thank us.

Someone: Aizu's on the Bakufu side, stupid.

Roughnecks: What was that!!

(The whole bar looks away.)

Roughneck 2: That's what I thought. Stay out of this.

Roughneck 1: That was a close one.

Battousai (behind him): It certainly was. If you had drawn that sword, you would have been fighting me.

Roughneck 2: What--!

(He reaches for his sword, but Battousai stops him.)

Battousai: Let me give you some advice. The violence is only going to get worse. Kyoto is no place for false patriots. If you value your lives, you should run back to the country.

Patrons: Yeah! Go home, frauds!

(The roughnecks storm out. Battousai tosses a few coins on the table and leaves as well.)

Battousai: Sorry for the fuss.

Proprietor: Ah--thank you.

Patrons: He's good, that kid. Yeah, he's a real patriot.

(Tomoe watches him go.)

Battousai (walking down the darkened streets.): The taste of blood is getting stronger. Guys like that wouldn't have gotten to me before. (He looks up at the stars.) Master...

Hiko: In spring, cherry blossoms by night. In summer, the stars. In autumn, the full moon. In winter, the snow. These are always enough to make sake delicious. If it tastes bad, that's proof that there's something sick inside you. Battousai (thinking): Sick ... maybe that's true. But saving people from the suffering of the ages is the foundation of the Hiten Mitsurugi school. And all the more now ... When we fought a year ago, why did he try to keep me from leaving...

(The two roughnecks from the bar are crouched in the street ahead of him.)

Roughneck 2: All right, here he comes. This street is perfect.

Roughneck 1: Are ... are you really going to kill him?

Roughneck 2: Hell yeah I am! You think I'm going to let this go?

Roughneck 1: But he's a killer!

Roughneck 2: Idiot! Everyone's a killer in Kyoto these days.

(Behind them): Correct.

(A man stands behind them, carrying two swords connected by a long length of chain.)

Assassin: You'll be in the way. Leave us!

(A scream rings out. Battousai looks up. One of the roughnecks comes running out.)

Roughneck 1: Help me! Hel--

(A sword flies out through his mouth. A jerk of the chain sends it back to the assassin's hand.)

Assassin: Hitokiri Battousai.

Battousai: What is this?

Assassin: You may play innocent, but I know you. I've been waiting for you here. I'll have your life!

(They begin to fight.)

Battousai (thinking): He's from the Bakufu. But not a real samurai. Like me ... Someone who will never go down in history. A shadow assassin!

(The assassin jumps to a roof, wrapping the chain around Battousai and pinning his arms to his sides.)

Assassin: Prepare yourself!

(Battousai pulls on the chain and manages to catch the other sword. As the assassin leaps towards him, he slices him in half with his own sword. As blood spatters everywhere, he becomes aware that Tomoe is standing behind him.)

Battousai (thinking): She saw ... the girl from the bar. I can't let anyone know of Battousai's existence... !

Tomoe: I followed you because I wanted to say thank you. In plays they always say, "A rain of blood fell" ... But you really made it rain blood.

(Battousai turns to look at her, as the sword falls from his hand. Blood has streaked her face and clothes.)

Kenshin and Tomoe ... In that instant, the wheel of their destiny began to turn. Round and round...

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close