Himura_battousai
Chapter 150: Kyoto Epilogue 5--In the Blue Sky

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(Everyone from the Aoiya is out to see Kenshin and the others off.)

Kaoru: Thank you for everything you've done for us.

Okina: Not at all. Take care.

Misao (her eyes brimming with tears): Come back to Kyoto sometime. I know we'll have lots of fun then.

Kaoru: Of course. And you'll have to come see us in Tokyo.

Yahiko: Or don't. You're annoying.

(Misao clasps Kaoru's hand as Kaoru bonks Yahiko with the other.)

Misao: I'll come! I'll definitely come!

Kenshin: Mr. Okina, I haven't seen Aoshi. Has he gone to the temple again today?

Okina: Not quite. Lately he hasn't even been going to the temple, he just meditates all day. It seems as though he doesn't want anyone near him.

Kenshin: I see.

(They walk to Aoshi's room. Aoshi is sitting cross-legged in the middle of the floor, facing away from the door.)

Kenshin: Aoshi, we're taking our leave now. If we ever get a chance, let's have a drink some time.

Aoshi: I don't drink.

Kenshin: I see...

Aoshi (without turning around): But if it were for tea, it would be my pleasure.

(As they walk out)

Yahiko: But he never smiled once. Gloomy jerk.

Kaoru (bonking him again): Don't talk like that!

Kenshin: That's true. But it won't be me who succeeds in that. That's for Miss Misao to do.

Misao: Right! You just leave that to me!

Kenshin (as Kaoru and Yahiko duke it out behind them): Miss Misao, you've been of great help. Thank you.

Okon: You all take care!

Misao: And I'm coming to see you soon!

Kaoru: You too! Misao, we'll be expecting you!

(They walk off.)

Omasu: They're nice people.

Okina: Yes ... such warmth. A kind group.

(Two figures are watching from an alleyway; one is smoking.)

Chou: You sure about this, boss? You said you don't need to talk to them, but I bet they're kinda worried about you.

Saitou: I only joined forces with Battousai temporarily to destroy the Shishio faction. Now that duty has been fulfilled.

Chou: Zat so.

Saitou: But we are both destined to battle. When the time comes, we'll meet again, in the midst of violence. We won't be united against a common enemy. Then, without hesitation, I will finish what I began in the Bakumatsu.

Chou: Guess it's too bad for Battousai you survived.

(Saitou smiles slightly and flicks away his cigarette before stepping off into the dark alley.)

Saitou: Come. My next duty is already begun.

(Kenshin and the others stop for a moment to look down upon Kyoto.)

Kenshin: This is our last sight of it.

Yahiko (pointing at a column of smoke): Look! A fire!

Sanosuke: Stupid. That's just smoke from a charcoal burner or something.

Kenshin: That way's...

(It's smoke from Hiko's kiln; Hiko sits beside it, sake cup in hand.)

Kaoru (to Kenshin): A lot's happened, but if you look back...

(Kenshin gazes out into the distance, thinking of the events of the past three months.)

Later...

Yokohama port.

Shinbashi station.

The neighborhood of Asakusa.

(Tae, Tsubame, and the doctor are waiting for them in front of the dojo.)

Tae: You're back!

Yahiko: Hey!

Tae: You must be tired. There's dinner from the Akabeko inside.

Sanosuke: Good Tokyo cooking! Kansai's all right, but for good sukiyaki it's gotta be Tokyo.

(Everyone heads inside, but Kaoru notices Kenshin hesitating.)

Kaoru: What's wrong?

Kenshin: It's nothing ... I didn't want to involve you in the dangers of the Battousai within me, but after three months of being a vagabond, I find myself here. It's a little strange for some reason, to be returning with you as if it were natural.

Kaoru: Kenshin. (holding out her hand) Welcome back.

(Kenshin looks startled for a moment, then smiles.)

Kenshin: I'm home.

its now finished. the second book will be comming out soon and it promises more action for kenshion and makbe the return of battousia? keep checking my blog and find out.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close