Himura_battousai
Chapter 136: When Did the Battle Begin?

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(Shishio and Houji stand on the battlefield, waiting.)

Shishio: How many years has it been since I fought personally.

Houji: You seem pleased.

Shishio: Of course. He still honors his oath not to kill, so it's hard to say that Hitokiri Battousai has awakened, but he's even managed to defeat Soujirou. As a swordsman, the prospect of fighting him stirs my blood as much as taking over the country. And on top of that, there's the Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki to look forward to. I said it the day he arrived in Kyoto. Whatever the outcome, I will enjoy this.

Houji: But I regret that it came to this. The Rengoku was destroyed, most of our soldiers have been arrested, and the Ten Swords are scattered. Our plans for Japan have been set back by ten years. Lord Shishio, please, destroy Battousai and those who follow him here and now. Then ten years from now! All I've done for this organization will be realized then! (thinking) Yes, then Japan will reap violence as a true world power! Now, as the Western powers colonize weaker countries one by one, Japan has no choice but to become strong. To unify this strength, the age needs Shishio Makoto! It is all for Lord Shishio!

(The barrel of a shotgun peeks out from the edge of his coat.)

Houji (thinking): If necessary, I will be hated once more!

(Kenshin and Sanosuke approach a door at the end of the hallway.)

Sanosuke: End of the road! (punching through the door) This is it!

(Yumi is standing on the other side, looking bored.)

Yumi: Slow, aren't you? I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever get here.

Sanosuke: How the hell did you--! Damn her! Well, let's get going, Kenshin!

Kenshin (slumped over): Ri ... right...

Sanosuke: Hey...

(Kenshin coughs up blood.)

Sanosuke: Hey!

Kenshin: I'm fine.

(Yumi pauses a moment.)

Yumi: You're tired. Well, what do you expect, if you fight two guys one after the other.

Sanosuke: What?

Yumi: What do you want to do? If you want to leave, I'll turn a blind eye. Promise not to interfere with Lord Shishio's plans and I'll let you go here.

Kenshin: It seems as though you don't want Shishio and I to fight. Well, it's only natural you should worry about him.

Yumi (turning away): A girl can't even show mercy to you idiots!

(But her face is worried.)

Kenshin: Sano...

Sanosuke: Yeah?

Kenshin: I must ask you again. This is fight is between Shishio and I. Please don't interfere.

Sanosuke: Yeah. I know. (thinking) That's all I can say. But I didn't come all this way to watch you die. Yahiko and the girl need you.

Kenshin: I thank you.

Sanosuke (thinking): No, it's not just them. In today's Japan there are a lot of people who don't see that they still need men like you. And no matter who calls me a liar or a coward, my Futae no Kiwami is not staying out of this!

(They come to a set of huge iron doors.)

Yumi: On the other side of these doors is Lord Shishio's private battleground. Once I open them, that's it. There's nowhere to run.

(She pulls a lever. Gears grind and the doors slowly open. A narrow bridge connects to a tower topped by the square battlefield; flaming smokestacks surround them.)

Kenshin: A battleground set halfway up a shear cliff ... there is truly no escape.

Sanosuke: And the smell ... They're burning a lot of stinkwater in those fires.

Houji: Stinkwater, what an old-fashioned name. This is petroleum, what every advanced nation now researches as an alternative source of fuel. When we have Japan in our grasp, we will first turn it to serious practical use. It will be a foothold in our launch into the world.

Shishio: As he says.

Kenshin: Shishio Makoto...

(Yumi walks across the field towards Shishio.)

Yumi: Lord Shishio ... please don't enjoy yourself so much you forget... (drawing a pocket watch from her sleeve.) And please take care...

(Shishio lifts her chin and kisses her.)

Shishio: Fifteen minutes. I'll finish him by then.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close