Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 134: The Second Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki

Seta Soujirou, born the first year of Bunkyuu in the prefecture of Kanagawa. When he was eight, he slaughtered his abusive adoptive parents and their children. Since then, as the right hand of former Ishin Shishi Shishio Makoto, many have fallen to him, beginning with the Minister Okubo Toshimichi. (Soujirou pulls his sword from the floor and walks to the center of the room.)

Soujirou: You're interfering.

(He whips his sword around him in a blinding half-circle, then sheathes it, assuming battou-jutsu stance.)

Soujirou: I'm coming. Be ready.

(Kenshin watches him closely.)

Sanosuke: Battou-jutsu stance. The right hand a little lowered... (thinking) This is a match of speed now.

Soujirou: My only named technique. Shuntensatsu. As the name implies, it kills in an instant. There is no time to feel pain.

Kenshin: A series of moves connecting a Shukuchi charge with self-taught battou-jutsu? Most assuredly a Shuntensatsu. But can you do it? With your heart confused as it is now.

Soujirou: I see. So you know everything, don't you? What arrogance you have.

Sanosuke (thinking): That idiot. What arrogance? After that harsh match with Aoshi, he's being pushed by someone who hasn't even shown his true strength yet. Unfavorable fights are the only kind he gets...

Soujirou: You should be worrying about yourself instead of me, Mr. Himura. When you read this move, there will be no time to respond. That's the speed of the Shuntensatsu.

Kenshin: I see. Then I'll try this.

Yumi: He sheathed his sword!

Sanosuke: He's going to use it at the last minute! There's only one battou-jutsu technique it can be!

The Hiten Mitsurugi School succession technique Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki!!

Soujirou: ... Are you serious?

Kenshin: I'm always serious. If I were not, my opponents would not take my words seriously.

Soujirou (remembering): But if it's not too late, couldn't you make a fresh start now? (aloud) I understand. Then I will throw away my arrogance and meet you seriously. (thinking) Full strength against full strength ... any other way, after I won, I still wouldn't know the answer. Is he right? Or is Mr. Shishio? My Shuntensatsu will discover the truth!

(Soujirou is suddenly gone.)

Yumi (thinking): He disappeared!

Sanosuke (thinking): That's the Shukuchi! It's too fast, you can't even see it!

(Kenshin starts running forward.)

Sanosuke: Kenshin!? (thinking) He's right ... Kenshin has the advantage in battou-jutsu but Soujirou has more pure speed. If he's up against Shukuchi moving into the Prodigy's battou-jutsu Shuntensatsu, combining godspeed with the Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki instead of waiting to meet him should make their overall speed almost equal. The determining factor now is--

(A flash of feet, eyes, drawn swords.)

Sanosuke (thinking): The technique's destructive power!

(The swords meet, and a dull edge splinters a sharp one. Soujirou is sent flying.)

(Half of Soujirou's sword is sticking point-down in the floor. Kenshin is slumped over, breathing hard.)

Sanosuke: Hey, you okay?

Kenshin: More or less. Soujirou?

(Yumi cradles Soujirou's head in her lap.)

Soujirou: So it ... turned out ... exactly the opposite as in Shingetsu. To be that strong even though he's sworn not to kill ... it's almost unfair.

Yumi: Kid, you're...

Soujirou: When you believe lie heaped on lie, you have to break them down all at once, Miss Yumi. I was wrong ... I got my answer. (sitting up) Mr. Himura, you were the one that was right. Weren't you...

Kenshin: No. If winning and being strong makes you right, then it's Shishio you should believe. If you could find the truth by fighting once or twice, everyone's way of living would be right. The true answer comes not by fighting but by living your life, as you atone for your sins.

Soujirou (falling back into Yumi's lap): You're a harsh man, Mr. Himura...

Kenshin (smiling a little): Am I...

Soujirou: You wouldn't let me have a simple answer. You're much harsher than Mr. Shishio...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close