Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 132: Soujirou's Past--A Smile in the Freezing Rain

(Soujirou sits outside the barn, holding the sword and thinking.)

After all, in the world, the flesh of the weak is the food of the strong. The strong live, the weak die. Soujirou (thinking): But ... it must hurt to be cut with a sword. It hurts a lot just getting hit, so that must really hurt.

(He thinks this over.)

Soujirou: I'll just have to give it back. I couldn't be a great swordsman like Mr. Shishio. I'm weak, but I'll get by.

Father (from the house): SOUJIROU!

Soujirou: What could he want, it's the middle of the night ... I'll hide it under the porch for now, and give it back to Mr. Shishio in the morning.

(He walks over to the house, to find the family waiting for him. The father carries a shovel, the older brother, his sword.)

Father: Soujirou--you thought you could trick me, you little bastard!

(He knocks him down with the shovel.)

Father: You disobeyed a government order in this day and age! You want to destroy my business? You're not getting away with this! Spit it out! Where's the rebel!

(Soujirou is down and bleeding.)

Older Brother: I've had enough of this brat! I'll kill him for this!

Sister: Wait, wait. Isn't this getting a little unpleasant?

Younger Brother: Hm? Oh, don't worry. He was hiding a very bad man. This sort of thing is natural when one human being kills another. Just kill him, brother. The only place Soujirou could hide anyone is in the barn. After this all we have to do is call the police.

Father: I won't let him destroy my business!

Sister: That's true. I'm sure if we tell the police about the rebel they'll give us a reward.

Mother: So this is how he repays us for all our trouble raising him!

Younger Brother: This is your chance to show off that sword you're always talking about.

(The scene blurs before Soujirou's eyes.)

The flesh of the weak is the food of the strong. The strong live, the weak-- (He screams and runs.)

Older Brother: He's getting away!

Soujirou (thinking desperately): Help me! Somebody--somebody--anybody! Somebody help me!

Father: He's gone! Where'd he go!

(The younger brother notices a footprint under the porch. Soujirou is hiding underneath, clutching the sheathed wakizashi.)

Soujirou (thinking): Help me ... Mr. Shishio...

Younger Brother (crawling underneath the porch): There you are! What're you doing here? (noticing the wakizashi) Ho ... that thing looks expensive. Was it in the barn? (reaching out for it) Where was it, where was it?

(His hand closes on the sheath, pulling it off.)

The food of the strong is the flesh of the weak. The strong live, the weak-- Die. (A scream fills the air.)

Sister: How coarse.

Mother: Blood will tell.

(Something rolls out from under the porch.)

Sister: Here he comes.

(It is actually the brother's severed head. Soujirou emerges after it, covered in blood.)

Soujirou: In this world the food of the strong is the flesh of the weak. The strong live--

Father & Older Brother (raising their weapons): That brat--!!

Soujirou: The weak--(as their heads fly through the air)--DIE!!!

(Screams and thunder echo as Shishio, in the barn, sits finishing his onigiri. As rain begins to fall, he walks out, to find Soujirou standing motionless among the bodies.)

Shishio: Are you crying?

(Soujirou turns towards him, smiling.)

Soujirou: No.

Shishio (as he begins to walk on): Coming with me?

Soujirou: Okay. Hey, Mr. Shishio?

Shishio: Yeah?

Soujirou: Do you think ... I could be strong?

Shishio: Sure. You'll be the strongest there is, after me--

(In the present, Soujirou stands up, ready.)

Soujirou: After all, in this world the food of the strong is the flesh of the weak.

Yumi: What?

Soujirou: He fights on behalf of the weak. Whatever he says or does, he must be wrong. If he wasn't wrong, someone should have protected me then.

Yumi: Sou?

Soujirou: It's getting on my nerves ... fighting with him. Somehow...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close