Himura_battousai
Chapter 131: Soujirou's Past--Thunder and Madness

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Kenshin: He's been gone a long time.

Sanosuke: What's he doing? We're ready over here.

(Soujirou laces his sandals absently, lost in his memories.)

Shishio: You saw, boy. You could have seen, so I have no choice. I'll kill you here.

(He raises the sword, but something makes him stop.)

Shishio: Are you so happy to die, boy?

Soujirou (with a frozen, helpless smile on his face): Huh? (looking about in confusion) Huh? What? This? Ha ha ... what?

(Shishio considers him for a moment, then sheathes his sword.)

Shishio: Boy! Get me food and some bandages. Do it and I'll let you live.

(A little later, in the storeroom. Shishio has removed the old, dirty bandages and replaced them with fresh ones. Soujirou watches him from the other side of a stack of rice bundles.)

Shishio. That's better. I can move now.

Soujirou: Um ... sir?

(Shishio turns to look at him, and he hides behind the rice.)

Shishio: I'm not so old you have to call me sir. Well, maybe you can't tell like this. My name is Shishio.

Soujirou: Um, Mr. Shishio.

Shishio: Yeah?

Soujirou: You killed that policeman, so are you a bad guy?

Shishio: The government is the real bad guy. They used me and then tried to burn me to death.

Soujirou: So you're a good guy then!

Shishio: No. I'm a fiend from hell.

(Soujirou is suddenly cowering on the far side of the barn.)

Shishio: Don't run away. I said I wouldn't kill you. (leaning back) I like it here. As long as you don't talk, no one's going to find me here. I'll stay here a while.

Soujirou (thinking): He really is a bad guy, but ... he's really, really strong...

(The next day. The two brothers are talking as Soujirou carries a bundle of rice.)

Younger Brother: Did you hear the news?

Older Brother: Yeah, about the escaped rebel. The cops just came to tell dad. They say the three cops that went after him have been missing for the last three days.

Younger Brother: They combed the woods and they still couldn't find him.

Soujirou (thinking): They won't find him. I buried the body deep in the woods. And Mr. Shishio hasn't set foot outside the barn.

Older Brother: Hey, Soujirou!

Soujirou (dropping his bundle): Ye-yes?

Older Brother: You spent the night outside three nights again. Did you see anything or hear anything? If you did you'd better tell us. (grabbing the front of his shirt) If you hide anything, I'll find out. This is a chance to show off my skills. I'll kill the rebel!

(He brings his sword down, splitting the bundle in half.)

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close