Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 129: Shukuchi

Soujirou: Oh? I missed. (swinging his sword onto his shoulder) Oh well. Next time I'll have you.

Sanosuke (thinking, amazed): He's fast! That was as fast as Kenshin's godspeed. No ... unless I'm going crazy, that was faster than... (shaking his head violently) No way! Nobody on earth could be faster than Kenshin. (aloud) Hey, what was that he just did?

Yumi (also stunned): I don't know...

Sanosuke: What!? You were the one yapping about how good he is!

Yumi: That's what Lord Shishio says! This is the first time I've seen the boy fight!

Sanosuke: So what're you--

Kenshin: ... Shukuchi.

Sanosuke & Yumi: Huh?

Kenshin: That which surpasses godspeed. The extreme godspeed Shukuchi.

Soujirou: Oh, you know it? You really are a swordsman to the bone. I didn't know what it was called either until Mr. Shishio told me.

Houji (pouring wine): Shukuchi? So there's his natural gifts and his suppressed emotions. This is Soujirou's third strength?

Shishio: Yes.

Shukuchi--a rare body technique by which one springs from initial speed to top speed through great strength of the legs, penetrating the range of your opponent in an instant. It is spoken of widely among the schools. To the layman, it looks as though the distance between the two fighters had suddenly shrunk, hence the name. Shishio: They say the Mouri no Sanbonya could do it, but all three of them together could never touch Soujirou.

Houji: So Shukuchi is speed that the eye can't follow--that's what he can do.

Shishio: No. That's Battousai's godspeed, at its best. Soujirou's ultimate godspeed Shukuchi is speed the eye can't even see.

Soujirou (smiling): But, Mr. Himura. That wasn't the real Shukuchi just now. To be precise, that was three steps before the Shukuchi. That's why you could see and avoid it. In Shingetsu, I compared you with Senkaku and guessed it would be enough to bring you down, but, I'm sorry, I seem to have misjudged you. This time, let's try two steps before the Shukuchi.

(He leaps forward, visible only as a series of rips in the tatami mat under his feet. Kenshin dodges to the side but Soujirou follows him, and Kenshin barely avoids his blow.)

Sanosuke: Don't stop, Kenshin! That's what he's waiting for!

(Soujirou whips back around. Kenshin leaps into the air--suddenly Soujirou appears in the air behind him.)

Sanosuke: WHAT??

(Kenshin brings around his sword to block, and they return to earth unhurt.)

Kenshin (thinking): It's not just his feet, even the way he carries himself is fast. On top of that, because his emotions are held back I can't read his movements, and it makes him seem even faster. But on the other hand, if I could cut through head on instead... !! I mastered this with the succession technique Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki. The strongest and fastest of the Hiten Mitsurugi school's charging techniques.

Kuzuryuusen

(Soujirou is utterly taken aback. Kenshin slides to a halt, looking over his shoulder.)

Sanosuke: He got him!

Soujirou (reappearing just behind Kenshin): No. The killing begins here.

(He deals him a great blow across the back. Kenshin, bleeding profusely, manages to keep his feet.)

Kenshin (thinking): He dodged--it should be impossible to block or evade the Kuzuryuusen. This Soujirou really is faster than me--no, faster than the Hiten Mitsurugi school--!!

Soujirou (looking just a little shaken): That's odd. I thought I had you that time...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close