Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 128: Soujirou Takes the Field

(Houji pounds his fist against the table.)

Shishio: What is it, Houji.

Houji (shaking with rage): A telegram ... from intelligence in Kyoto ... The attack on the Aoiya has failed. Iwanbou has fled, and Henya, Kamatari, Fuji and Saitsuchi have been arrested... !

Shishio: In other words, the Ten Swords are all but destroyed.

Houji: Why! They even had Fuji with them, there was no way they could have failed! How did--

Shishio: They were stronger than we were. That's all there is to it.

Soujirou (adjusting his wristguards): After all, in this world the flesh of the weak is the food of the strong. The strong live, the weak die. But it's okay. I'm strong, so I can do the work of all of the Ten Swords, can't I? (on his way out) Well, I'll just be a minute.

Shishio: The strong live, the weak die. Those words I taught him are the code he lives by. It's his only truth. Because he has suppressed all emotions but amusement, it's impossible read the lines of his sword. He uses his natural gifts to the fullest. A born prodigy who surpasses even Battousai. And there's something Battousai didn't see at Shingetsu. The other gift of Okubo's assassin. The supreme violence I discovered and perfected in Seta Soujirou. You were given a glimpse of what will destroy you, Battousai.

(Elsewhere)

Yumi (pushing herself away from Sanosuke): All right, I've had it!

Sanosuke: What're you so mad about, I'm the one that had to carry you the whole way.

Yumi: Shut up. What woman would be happy about being carried like a dog?

Sanosuke: Kay, then how 'bout like this? (holding a straw dummy in classic bride-over-the-threshold manner)

Yumi: No way! (Not with you!)

Sanosuke: You can count me out too. (A twisted bitch like you.)

Yumi: What was that??

Kenshin: Miss Yumi. Is that the next room?

Yumi: Yes. That's the room of Soujirou the Prodigy, strongest of the Ten Swords. This time, you've met your destiny--

Sanosuke: Hey, I think I've heard of this guy. He any good?

Kenshin: Yes.

(Yumi: Are you listening?)

Kenshin: He's the youth that cut through the reverse blade in an exchange of battou-jutsu. We both withdrew then in a draw. Had we continued, it was obvious by looking at our swords who held the advantage. But now I have the true reverse blade and the succession technique, the Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki. This time, I will not be defeated.

(They open the door. Soujirou is waiting for them.)

Soujirou: It's been a long time, Mr. Himura. I'm pleased to see you arrived here safely.

Sanosuke (smacking his forehead): This is him... ? (thinking) Don't know what kind of hero I was expecting, but this is the kid Kenshin can't defeat?

Kenshin: I thank you for your kind words, but I have no time for wit or conversation. Will you fight, or let me pass? Answer me quickly.

Soujirou: Time... ? Oh, you mean the Aoiya situation. The Aoiya's in no danger. We just received word that our attack had failed. (noticing the shock on all three faces) Mr. Houji was surprised as well, but, well, the truth is the truth. But now it's I who has no time. I've got to do the work of the Ten Swords all on my own. I can't allow you to take up too much of my time. And so--(falling into battou-jutsu stance)

(Kenshin takes the stance as well, and they charge towards each other. They strike, blocking the other's blade with their own, and fall back. Soujirou's sword has a hairline crack at the point of impact.)

Sanosuke: All right!

Yumi: Whadduya mean, all right. It was just a tiny scratch. They're almost even.

Soujirou: Wow ... It doesn't look any different, but your new blade is very fine, Mr. Himura. My treasured Kiki Ichimonji Norimune is nothing in comparison.

Yumi: Kiku Ichimonji... (thinking) But that's an even greater sword than the Nagaso Nekotetsu! He cracked that famous blade... !

Sanosuke: If the wielder is the best, then the blade is the best. Even a small crack will be a huge disadvantage, fighting in this enclosed space. Whatever happened in their last match, Himura Kenshin is faster at battou-jutsu. This time he's got 'em!

Soujirou: You're gotten better, Mr. Himura. You were so strong to begin with, it's amazing that you could improve. But it's strange. No matter how strong someone like you gets, I just can't understand you. Well, it's all right. You'll never be a match for Mr. Shishio. I'll just have to take you a little more seriously.

(He dashes forward and seems to disappear, reappearing beside Kenshin to take a swing at him. Kenshin barely dodges.)

Kenshin (thinking): That--that leg strength. So this is the strength of the assassin that cut down General Okubo in a moving carriage!

Soujirou: Huh? Did I miss?

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close