Himura_battousai
Chapter 116: The Final Battle Begins

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Kenshin: Aoshi... (They stare each other down.) You've changed ... You've changed so much I would hardly have thought you were Shinomori Aoshi.

Aoshi: So I've changed. (unsheathing his swords) To defeat you and win the title of the strongest, I'd change anything.

Sanosuke (thinking): Two kodachis!

Aoshi: Draw, Battousai.

(Kenshin pulls his sword out of its sheath a little, then clicks it loudly back into place.)

Sanosuke: Kenshin...

Aoshi: What was that. Do you intend to break your promise of a final battle at the last minute?

Kenshin: I'll honor my promise. But my opponent isn't you. My promise was with Aoshi, the Okashira of the Oniwabanshuu, not to you.

Aoshi: ... What do you mean by that.

Sanosuke: Give it up, Kenshin. If he listened to reason, you could have settled this long ago at Kanryuu's mansion. Aoshi's Aoshi, all you can do is fight him and beat him.

Kenshin: But that would mean breaking another promise. The Aoshi I promised to bring back to Miss Misao was Aoshi the Okashira, not the Aoshi before our eyes. Defeating him or bringing him back as he is now would mean nothing. (to Aoshi) I'll keep my promise! But my opponent won't be you, who lives on the verge of violence.

Aoshi: Are you done playing with words?

Sanosuke: Go on, draw, Kenshin!

Kenshin: No.

Sanosuke: Dammit, I've had about enough of your selfishness!

Kenshin: I will defeat him as I am, with only the advantage of terrain. Like this, there may be a possibility he will return to his old self.

Sanosuke: We've got no time, and this is a really annoying way to fight.

Kenshin: I'm sorry.

Sanosuke (grinning): But this kind of fight is definitely your style! I forgive you. Go get him!

(Aoshi charges. Kenshin reaches out and throws a shelf-full of books at him. As Aoshi slashes them out his way, Kenshin leaps atop the bookshelf.)

(Unobserved, Yumi dashes behind the bookcases, finding a desk with a telegraph set out.)

Yumi: There is it...

Houji: Lord Shishio, a telegram from Yumi! Anji has failed. Usui is fighting Saitou Hajime ... Himura and Shinomori Aoshi are fighting in my room--I didn't expect this. The fight's not going well.

Shishio: Is that so ... No one could fight Anji and get away without being hurt. Usui will probably lose to Saitou, but he'll be hurt as well. Two wounded lions and Battousai ... Sou and I will be sufficient.

Houji: More than sufficient.

Shishio: Did you really want to see me lose my temper?

(Houji smirks.)

Shishio: So it's finally time for the big match between Battousai and Shinomori Aoshi. Sou, take your time with my blade.

Soujirou (who is cleaning it): Yes?

Shishio: This is going to take a while.

(Kenshin is running down the top of the bookcase, Aoshi close behind. Aoshi puts a foot on a shelf to climb after him. Kenshin jumps down the other side.)

Kenshin: Aoshi! The way you are now, I could defeat you without even drawing my sword!

(He puts his shoulder to the bookcase and shoves.)

Sanosuke (thinking): There's no place to run under a whole bookcase. (aloud) You really did beat him without draw--

Aoshi: Kodachi Nitou-ryuu Kaiten Kenbu Rokuren!

(He tears the bookcase apart with his swords.)

Soujirou: Take a while? Why is that?

Shishio: Simple. The Battousai of today and Shinomori Aoshi are evenly matched. When those two cross swords, someone is going to have to die.

(Kenshin inadvertently pulls his sword out to block Aoshi's attack.)

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close