Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 108: A Difference of Strength

Acala-- Acala embodies divine wrath, the god who protects faith. Because of his great strength, demons surrender to him, and he punishes the foolish masses who cannot be saved. Anji: What I taught you was just one of the basics. This is mastery.

Sanosuke (thinking): That was the Futae no Kiwami with both hands and both feet. And his left hand wasn't even a fist, he used his elbow...

Kenshin: Sano!

(Sanosuke drops down to avoid Anji's next punch.)

Sanosuke: Damn...

Saitou: Want me to take your place?

Sanosuke: Shut up!

Anji: I don't care if you don't accept my idea of salvation. But I will show no mercy to those who stand in my way.

Sanosuke (thinking): No kidding! Forget hands and feet, with that attitude he could do the Futae no Kiwami with his head. All I've got is my right fist ... But I'm not backing off!

Anji: I thought you were smarter than that.

Saitou: Looks like you were wrong.

Sanosuke: I told you to shut up!

Kenshin: Sano! Don't worry! In kenjutsu two-sword style isn't necessarily better than single sword technique! Even if you are kind of dense, if you think you'll find some way to win!

Sanosuke (fuming): Everyone's calling me stupid. But I think I see my chance now.

Yumi: Hang on, Mr. Himura. This is supposed to be a man-to-man fight with no outside help.

Kenshin: I know, that's why I'm using my mouth and not my hands.

Saitou (thinking): What a sweet-talker.

(Kenshin hums innocently.)

Yumi (thinking): Jerk!

Anji: A chance of victory? ... foolish. You have nothing of the kind.

Sanosuke: Well, whether I do or not--gimme your best shot!

(Anji punches. Sanosuke ducks to the side, close to his body.)

Sanosuke (thinking): Just like I thought! Anji, you turned your whole body into a mass of muscle mastering the Futae no Kiwami. But all that muscle is too heavy--your body can't cope with the speed of my fists! The Futae no Kiwami destroys in one attack! So if I just get in one good punch, I can win!

Kenshin: He hit!

(Anji gives him a disparaging look.)

Sanosuke: Wh--what?

Kenshin (thinking): When he took Sano's Futae no Kiwami, he punched himself at the same time, and the instant transmission of shock canceled the two punches out... !!

Anji: I'll say it once again. This is mastery.

(He punches, and Sanosuke goes flying.)

Kenshin: Sano!

Sanosuke (regaining his balance): Damn that was close. Can't believe there's a way to dodge the Futae no Kiwami--

(The full impact hits him, and he coughs blood.)

Sanosuke (thinking): ... He just grazed me, but the shock ... It's the same Futae no Kiwami, but totally different from mine...

Anji: Retreat. This time, I'll let you go.

(A long pause.)

Saitou: I was being nice when I said I'd take his place. He's not going to get out of this with a joke.

Yumi: Wait a minute, Brother Anji! Lord Shishio said to kill him!

Anji: Stay out of this! I have freedom over matters of life and death.

Sanosuke: Matters of life and death? In other words, it's up to you whether I live or die? So you really are the Bright King. You must feel pretty good.

(Anji says nothing.)

Sanosuke: You take orders from Shishio about these matters of life and death. So Shishio must be the head Buddha, huh?

Anji: I don't take orders. I agree that the Meiji government must be destroyed. I'm only lending my strength for this purpose. If Mr. Shishio's new age is not the salvation of the world, then I will become his enemy and destroy it as well.

Sanosuke: So you don't want the destruction to ever end? I hate the Meiji government. I can't forgive it for what it's done. Even now sometimes I want to destroy it. But in this age there are people doing their best to live. And there are people who believe in their future and will fight for it! You can despair as much as you want, Anji. But as long as I've got hope, I won't let you choose who gets to live and who has to die! I will not lose! There's no way I'm gonna lose!

Saitou (to Kenshin): This all right? It's not even a fight anymore. He'll torture him to death by inches.

Kenshin: "There's no way I'm gonna lose." Sano said the very same thing to me when we fought. But this "I'm not gonna lose" means a lot more.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close