Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 106: Like Snakes and Scorpions

Shishio: Unconditional victory?

Houji: Yes. Unconditional victory. In this battle against Himura, Saitou and Sagara, we have ten men, counting Lord Shishio, against three. So, we have a clear advantage in both numbers and skill.

Yumi: That's great. So what's the problem?

Houji: But when the enemy is the best of the best ... If we fight them now, even among the Ten Swords, any one of lesser strength than Chou will be destroyed. Thus, we should chose only our best fighters. These three will come up against Soujirou, Usui and Anji. The remaining six will eliminate those left at the Aoiya! (Yumi looks surprised; Shishio says nothing.) Soujirou: I see! Houji: In the last battle, the Oniwabanshuu of the Aoiya engineered the failure of the Kyoto fire. Not only that, but ever since Himura Battousai arrived in Kyoto, their information network served as his base support! If not for them, we should have succeeded easily. To put it another way, not eliminating them sooner was the cause of our failure. Himura Battousai is clever ... he may anticipate our using this oppurtunity to attack the Aoiya. But he is, after all, a swordsman. He would never dream of an opponent attacking behind his back after issuing a challenge. He thinks like you, Lord Shishio, and like you, "a challenge, ten against three" was all that was on his mind. Do not forget, our final goal is to take the nation. For this, the best course is to destroy Himura Battousai and his compatriots here and now!

Shishio: Houji, since when did you start giving me advice? Surprise attacks or foul play wouldn't bother me. But I challenged Battousai. Changing that would be doubting my confidence as a swordsman. There will be no change! (raising a fist) Stop babbling and call the Ten Swords!

Houji: After I prepared to receive violence from that fist, I secretly resolved one thing. As the proverb "The Royal Army is the one who wins" states, the victors write the history books. I will devote body and soul to the plan to make Lord Shishio the victor. (tearing off his gloves) For this, I have chosen my role ... No matter what base, cowardly things I must do, I will offer Lord Shishio unconditional victory! I don't care if my countrymen or even Lord Shishio loathes me like snakes or scorpions! Now that we've lost the Rengoku, the Ten Swords are our remaining secret weapon. I cannot approve of this foolish plan to waste them!

(a pause)

Shishio: An enemy might if he had to, but this is the first time an underling has resisted me this far ... All right, Soujirou. Go call the Ten Swords.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close