Himura_battousai
Chapter 104: Tears

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Kenshin: Miss Misao...

(Footsteps pound down the hall.)

Sanosuke: Hm?

Omasu: Misao!!

(She and the rest if the Oniwabanshuu charge in.)

Omasu: Oh, Kenshin, you're here too? Great! Everyone, come on!

(They carry them off.)

Sanosuke (left behind): What the hell...

(from outside): I'm with the police. Is anyone home?

Misao: What's going on?

Omasu: It's Okina!

Misao: What's wrong with Gramps!?

Omasu: He's regained consciousness!

(A little later. Okina sits up and reties the bow on his beard.)

Okina: I seem to have caused everyone a lot of worry. I'm sorry.

Yahiko: Wow, he looks like a mummy!

Kaoru: Hey!

Okina: Himura. Will you hear my request? Omasu, let me borrow your shoulder. You know the situation with Aoshi?

Kenshin: Somewhat ... but I can guess the details from what Miss Misao's told me.

Okina: I see ... then my story will be short. My request is nothing other than Aoshi--Aoshi isn't evil at heart. I've known him since he was an infant, so I should know. But for one word, "strongest," he abandoned all ability to tell the difference between right and wrong, and I could not stop him. As things stand, under those blood-soaked killer's swords, the victims can only increase. So please, Himura. Kill Shinomori Aoshi with your own hands. I understand that for you, who has vowed in your heart never to kill again, this would be violating a promise. but only you can destroy Aoshi as he is now. Only you can destroy one who has given all to violence. The only peace in violence is death. Finishing him will be his only salvation...

(Memories flash before Misao's eyes; her pulse sounds louder and louder in her ears.)

Misao (thinking): My heartbeat won't slow down. I can't move. My mind should be made up. I should be fine. But--Himura ... will you hurt Lord Aoshi? Will you kill him? Himura...

(Kenshin bows his head.)

Kenshin: Mr. Okina, your wounds--probably the Kaiten Kenbu? If it's like what I've seen, if Aoshi had truly turned to violence, then you should be in your grave now. Aoshi has not yet given all to violence! Probably even Aoshi didn't realize that for an instant, unconsciously, he held back ... but it's proof that he is not a man who has abandoned everything. Even if it's just a sign that violence cannot extinguish his entire self, I believe in his heart. Aoshi's place of rest is not in death. It's here. And I will bring him back here.

Okina: Himura...

Omasu: Misao?

(Everyone looks at her, as tears gather and fall from her eyes.)

Misao: Huh? I ... No, I ... huh?

Kaoru (hugging her): I'm so glad, Misao.

Misao: Yeah...

Okina (thinking): I almost made Misao miserable ... It's time for an old soldier to withdraw. (aloud) Himura. Please, take care of Aoshi.

(Out front, Sanosuke is talking with the policeman.)

Sanosuke: A message?

Officer: Yes. It's from Chief Fujita.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close