Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 103: One Dawn

(A group of police take care of the wounded.)

Saitou: No buildings were burnt down, seven partially burnt. Fifty minor blazes, but they were soon put out.

Sanosuke: Pretty miraculous, eh?

Saitou: Well. Forty-one officers were killed and many more were wounded. Civilian casualties haven't been determined, but reports aren't in yet.

Kenshin: Forty-one...

Saitou: That's not even a hundredth of the five thousand we mobilized. We were able to arrest almost all of the enemy soldiers; it was ideal.

Kenshin: ... That's not the problem.

Saitou: Feh. Well, you can think whatever you want. I need to deal with the results of last night before we go to Shishio's headquarters. Wait at the Aoiya till I send for you.

(Kenshin and Sanosuke head off.)

Sanosuke: We're supposed to be fighting together, but we get along like oil and water. Same as ever since I came to Kyoto.

Kenshin: The police were looking after you. Could it be you've made peace with Saitou?

(Sanosuke slugs him, sending him slamming into a brick wall.)

Sanosuke: Why would I make nice with that underhanded cop! After we settle with Shishio he's next! Now that we got that straight, I'm hungry. Hurry up and show me where the Aoiya is.

Kenshin (trudging off): Okay, okay. (He keeps punching people out of the blue... )

(A little later.)

Sanosuke: So the Oniwabanshuu are in Kyoto, but this time they're on our side. That's a weird twist.

Yahiko (standing in front of the Aoiya): Kenshin! And Sanosuke!

Sanosuke: Hey, Yahiko. What, they made you stand outside? You get in trouble?

Yahiko (steam blowing out of his ears): I'm on guard!!

(Kenshin: Oh, new trick.)

Yahiko: Hey, Kaoru! Kenshin's back!

(The door opens a crack, and Kaoru peeks out.)

Sanosuke (yanking the door open): What're you sneaking around for.

Kenshin: I'm sorry I caused you worry, Miss Kaoru.

Kaoru: ... Not at all...

Sanosuke (to Yahiko): Good job getting the girl here.

Yahiko: It was a man's promise. I had to keep it.

Kaoru: Did you learn the technique?

Kenshin: Pretty much. After this, it depends on my heart ... How is Miss Misao?

Kaoru (bowing her head): She's ... pretty bad...

(They race down the hall.)

Kenshin (thinking): Oh no! I wrote the letter so the Oniwabanshuu could spread the word and warn Kyoto, but knowing Miss Misao, she wouldn't leave it at that. She'd have to do something herself. This was my mistake! (throwing open the door) Miss Misao!

(Misao pounds the floor with her fists, tears streaming from her eyes.)

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close