Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 83: Hiko Seijuurou

(A little ways outside of the city, a man standing before a kiln also sees the flare.)

Hiko: A signal flare ... that's unusual these days. (shrugging) Well, it has nothing to do with me.

(In the Shirobeko)

Kaoru & Misao (simultaneously): Um. (trying again) That is--

Misao: Go ahead.

Kaoru: No, you, please.

Misao (thinking): Well this is awkward...

Yahiko: Hey, what is this! You finally get a clue about Kenshin, and you're acting like you're on your first date! There's tons of stuff you want to ask her, so ask her! Go, Kaoru!

Kaoru: Um ... Misao. Where is Kenshin now?

Misao: Um, unfortunately I'm not really sure ... He was living with me up until three days ago.

Sae (scandalized): You were living together?

Misao: No! I mean, we were traveling together on the way to Kyoto, so he just stayed at my place for a while! We definitely weren't--

Sae (even more so): You were traveling together?

Yahiko: That idiot is still chasing women without even knowing it.

Misao (thinking): No--!! The one I love is Lord Aoshi! Himura and I are just friends!

(In the back yard of the Aoiya, Okina hands Kenshin a folded letter.)

Okina: Hiko Seijuurou's whereabouts. We never suspected that that was a secret name, so he was difficult to find.

Kenshin: I'm sorry ... I just now realized it myself. I had to apologize to her, but in the end I'll have to leave the Miss Misao and Aoshi matter to you.

Okina: Don't worry about a thing. It's in good hands.

Kenshin (turning to go): Well then...

Okina: I'm sorry, Himura. I really wanted to help you till the bitter end, but my first responsibility is to protect Misao and the Aoiya. I said I understood your feelings to Mr. Seikuu, but while it was a cowardly thing to do, I lied. HMM However, I am your ally at heart. It's not just me. Misao and those at the Aoiya, Seikuu's family, and probably those you left in Tokyo--we all want you to be safe from harm. Do not forgot that.

(While at the Shirobeko--)

Misao: So Himura is just a friend!

Sae: Anyone who denies it that strongly--

Misao: I've had just about enough of you!

Yahiko: She's our only clue, and finding out where Kenshin is from her is going to be impossible.

Misao (practically in tears): It's true! You gotta believe me!

Kaoru: If that's the way it is, goodbye. Crying and crying would only encourage Megumi. Is this what I get for making up my mind to go to Kyoto? Now I'm mad! I don't care what I have to do, I'm going to see Kenshin again! (hitting Misao) So first a slap! Now confess! Where is Kenshin!

Misao (thinking): If she didn't believe me before, she's not going to listen to me now! (These people are weird!)

Yahiko (thinking): Before it was like she was done with the world. Now she's more like her old self.

Customers: Sure is lively in here today.

Sae: Oh, welcome, sirs.

Customer: Did you see the flare, Sae? There was one just now, must've been for a festival or something.

Misao (thinking): A signal flare ... The quickest way would be for her to hear it straight from Himura but-- (aloud) Answer me one thing. You know that now Himura is challenged to fight for the future of Japan. You know that getting involved with only superficial feelings would put yourself and Himura in danger. And you still want to see him?

Kaoru (smiling): Was it with superficial feelings that you traveled from Kyoto to Tokyo to see someone?

Misao: ... Of course not. So come on! I'll show you where Himura is!

(That night. Hiko sits before his kiln. Kenshin walks up behind him, drawing his sword. But long before the blade makes contact Hiko leaps clear.)

Hiko: That's pretty low, attacking a mere potter out of nowhere.

Kenshin: Hiko Seijuurou is no mere potter.

Hiko (turning): Who are you?

Kenshin: It's been a long time, Master...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close