Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 82: The Threads That Lead Me to You

Misao: YOU'RE LEAVING THE AOIYA!?!

(Kenshin silently fits a new handle on the reverse blade.)

Misao: Why?! Now, when you finally got a new reverse blade?

(She charges at him with such ferocity that they butt heads. They both clutch their aching heads.)

Okina: Settle down, settle down. Himura, you owe us a reason.

(No reply.)

Misao: You're not gonna talk??

Okina: You stay back.

(Kenshin hammers the new handle on.)

Okina: You don't want to tell us? Well, after all, we're perfect strangers. I have no right to ask you about matters close to your heart. Then before you leave, you'll just pay the bill for ten days' stay, seven yen and fifty sen.

Misao: Oh, he turned to stone.

Okina: The Aoiya is an inn. A stranger has no right to stay for free.

Misao: Right on Gramps!

(Sign above Kenshin: He can't even groan.)

Okina: Tell us, Himura. If you don't, even if you get past me, you'll never get past her. I MADE THIS UP.

Kenshin: If I stay here, others will be involved. (sheathing the sword.) In order to avoid involving anyone in this battle, I left Tokyo alone. But in this latest matter, the Seikuu family became involved. If I stay here, you will be involved as well.

Misao: What! You don't have to worry about that. I was taught kempo by Hanya! It's not like I'm Iori!

Kenshin: No. In the eyes of Shishio's men, Miss Misao, you and Iori would be the same. I don't want to put anyone else in danger. From now on, I fight alone.

Okina: I understand, Himura. I'll respect your wishes. When we find out about the other person you asked me to search for, Hiko Seijuurou, I'll send word. The old ways of doing things are the surest.

Kenshin: Thank you.

Misao: Why, Himura. Why are you so remote all of a sudden. Because I know you're Hitokiri Battousai? Well excuse me, I don't care about your stupid past. Whoever you are, the person I met wasn't the Hitokiri you. It was the vagabond you. (Kenshin smiles.) What's so funny!

Kenshin: Someone I parted with in Tokyo said something like that to me. But I never expected to hear those words in Kyoto. I'm sorry I never told you about Aoshi.

(He closes the door behind him.)

Misao: I knew I couldn't count on you. I'll show you, I'll find him by myself.

Okina: It's all right. He's kind, but he's no youth. I understood yesterday when he lost control that he still has the harsh nature of the Hitokiri deep within his heart. I could see it clear as day. If we meddled any further out of vague feelings of justice and half-naive sympathy, it wouldn't end without someone getting hurt. After we find the person we said we would look for...

(Misao strides over to the window; Kenshin is still on the street.)

Misao: Hey Himura! You told Eiji in Shingetsu to be happy! Why don't you take your own advice! You're going to end up miserable if you try to do everything all by yourself! I don't agree at all! Don't forget, you jerk!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close