Himura_battousai
Chapter 74: Arrival in Kyoto

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(Misao and Kenshin arrive in Kyoto; Kenshin has covered his scar with a square bandage.)

Misao: We finally made it. It's such a relief to be back

Kyoto, the city at the center of Japan, is a center of art as well as that of Japanese Buddhism. It has been the capital ever since the Tento dynasty in 794 and so was called the Thousand Year Capital. Kenshin (thinking): Kyoto ... Ten years have passed for Japan since the coming of the new era. I didn't think this place would be touched again.

Misao: Himura! This way!

The color and brilliance of its seasons make it the city most suited to the word elegance, but under the surface, when it was called the Demon City and Chimimouryou from the Taiko swaggered through its streets, it became a center of war where plague and famine were spread many times. During the violence of the Bakumatsu, not a day went by without a spray of blood or a freshly severed head, until it seemed like it was a road of violence to a battlefield on a map of hell-- Misao: Himura!!

Kenshin: Oro?

Misao: Don't oro me! What're you just standing there for? You've been acting weird ever since we got to Kyoto. And do you have to have the sword? It really sticks out, it's embarrassing.

Kenshin: Your clothes are more embarrassing.

Misao: Why you--Angry Demon Bird Kick!

Kenshin: Oro!

In the end they were equally embarrassing. Kenshin: Anyway, you should go home first, Miss Misao. I'm sure they're worried about you.

Misao: Home? We're already there, look.

Kenshin: Oro. An inn...

Misao: Yeah, the Aoiya's pretty well known in Kyoto--Hey, Gramps!!

Okina (for that is his name): Misao!!!

Misao (hugging him): I'm back!

Okina: Welcome home!

Misao: I know I'm late and I made you worry. I'm sorry. Ow ow ow ow ow ow!!!

Okina (tickling her): That's your punishment for being late.

Kenshin (thinking): He's mad, he's mad.

Okina (turning to Kenshin): Oh, you must have brought her back.

Kenshin: Well...

Okina: She can be a handful, can't she.

Kenshin: You said it.

(Behind him, the four workers at the Aoiya pour out.)

Omasu: Misao!

Shiro: She's back! Oh, you've grown.

(Kenshin smiles at the scene.)

Kenshin: Well, I'll be going now.

Okina: Wait! We haven't thanked you yet.

Misao: Himura! Shiro and Kuro are making a feast tonight. It's going to be great!

Okina: As Misao says. Please stay a while, Mr. Himura Battousai.

(Kenshin stops.)

Okina: Even if you hide your scar, you're known to those you know you.

Kenshin: How do you--

Okina: It's a long story. Please, come in.

Meanwhile...

(Three girls are cooing over a little chow puppy.)

Girl: Oh, chow-chow?

Girl: Chow-chow chow chow?

Girl: Uh-huh, chow-chow-chow.

Yahiko (thinking): That's--that's not Japanese! (frowning) My first taste of the Thousand Year Capital is a little different than I expected--

Kaoru: Hey, quit playing around and help me!

Kaoru's and Yahiko's ship has arrived in Kyoto. Kaoru: First we have to find Tae's family's house.

Tae: Prices at inns are ridiculous. I'll send word home; please feel free. Kaoru: But Kyoto all looks the same to me. It's confusing ... I wonder how we're going to find one person in all of this.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close