Himura_battousai
Chapter 71: Once Again to Kyoto

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Misao: The reverse blade ... it's broken...

Saitou: And Shishio got away.

Misao (scowling at him): Hey!!

Kenshin: What? We can make a new sword, and we can follow Shishio again. (he smiles) For now, Shishio has pulled out of Shingetsu, and I'm glad about that.

(While they're talking, Eiji moves over beside the fallen Senkaku.)

Eiji (thinking): He's breathing. He's not dead.

(He grits his teeth and raises the sword.)

Misao: Eiji!!

Eiji: Die, Senkaku!!

Misao: Wait, it's already over--

(Saitou catches the sword blade with one hand, then yanks Eiji back by the shirt collar with the other, throwing him against the wall.)

Saitou: You can't just kill him. I have a mountain of questions for him to answer.

Eiji: He's my enemy! Get out of my way!

Saitou: Idiot. Revenge killing was outlawed in 1873. Don't give me any more work to do. Besides, in addition to torture in the investigation, he'll undoubtably get the death penalty. It will be far more painful than simply being killed his sleep.

Eiji: Shut up! This has nothing to do with the law or the death penalty! I have to kill him with my own hands. (picking up the sword again) My family can't rest until--

(Kenshin lays a hand on his.)

Kenshin: The dead don't desire revenge, but the happiness of the livng. To dirty your small hands would bring joy to no one. As time goes by your small hands will become big and you'll become an adult. You won't be a man who oppresses other with his strength like Shishio's men. Nor will you be powerless, frightened and downtrodden like the men of the village. You'll be a man like your brother, who cared for you until the very end. And you'll be happy.

(The sword clatters to the floor; Eiji begins to cry.)

Misao: So I guess it's case closed for now. Here, take my handkerchief. Dry your tears.

(He blows his nose on her sash instead, to her rage.)

Saitou (looking away from the fracas to the fragment of the reverse blade): Case closed, indeed...

Soujirou (scratching the back of his head apologetically): It wasn't my fault. If you're angry, please be angry with Battousai.

Shishio: How could the reverse blade destroy the Nagasone Kotetsu like this? I may have underestimated him...

Soujirou: Kotetsu?

Yumi: Too bad your head isn't as strong as your arms. It was a famous sword used by one of the Bold Thirty-One.

Shishio: Soujirou, will you do something for me?

Soujirou: Anything, as long as I don't have to pay you back for the sword.

Shishio: Bring all of the Ten Swords to Kyoto at once. I want to drag Hitokiri Battousai out of Himura Kenshin, by force if I have to.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close