Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 69: Battle Tactics

Senkaku: Destroy me? Me?

Kenshin: Yes.

Senkaku: That's funny! (He rains blows upon Kenshin, who leaps aside.) I have killed ninety-nine people up till now. You will be the hundredth!

Saitou: Only ninety-nine? That's not much to be proud of.

(Kenshin moves out of Senkaku's line of sight.)

Soujirou: Oh!

Yumi: The famous speed we've heard so much about. But if they're comparing speed, Senkaku won't be the loser.

Senkaku: You're behind me, Battousai!

(He slashes with the axehead behind him, seemingly lined up to intersect with Kenshin's head. Kenshin becomes a blur, and ends up 180 degrees from where he was, again behind Senkaku.)

Senkaku: Is Hitokiri Battousai such a coward he can only strike from behind? If so, (performing a similar maneuver) I can do it too.

Kenshin: That, too, is nothing to be proud of.

Senkaku: Our speed is equal! But I am far stronger! And with these two kaiken I can make the most of it!!

(He laughs insanely, chopping with his blades. Kenshin dodges. Outside, Senkaku's laughter is audible to the guards.)

Guard: I heard the intruders are supposed to be good, but...

Guard: That won't matter against Lord Senkaku's shredding blows. We won't get a turn this time. Too bad, too.

Misao: Unfortunately, that just isn't true.

Guard: Who the hell are you??

Misao: Makimichi Misao does not give out her name to villains!

Guard: Didn't you just give your name?

Misao: Oops! Never mind that! If you don't let us through I'll make you suffer!

(She punches the first guard; he goes down.)

Guard: Get that stupid bitch!

Misao (kicking him in the face): Who are you calling stupid?

(The remaining guard raises his whistle, but is stopped by the sword leveled at his throat.)

Eiji: You'll be our guide. Take me to Senkaku.

(Back in the inn. Kenshin dodges everything Senkaku throws at him, as he is chased around the room.)

Senkaku: Circling, circling ... Our speed is equal! How long do you think you can avoid me, cockroach?

Soujirou: Mr. Himura is having a tough time. He's being pushed back and hasn't attacked once. Why don't you help him?

Saitou: You must be joking. I have no intention of showing the enemy my sword techniques. Look.

(Shishio is carefully watching the fight with a grim expression.)

Saitou: He spoke at length with a cold sneer, but ever since the fight started, he's looked like that ... He's going to see through everything his enemy does. It isn't open and honorable, but he isn't going to let anything get past him. Battousai has naturally noticed this. So without daring to attack, he is inviting his opponent to destroy himself.

Soujirou: Destroy himself?

Kenshin: Is it time yet?

Senkaku: I've had about enough of you--

(His leg twists awkwardly underneath him; he falls.)

Senkaku: My leg ... it's broken...

Kenshin: You kept moving without ever losing speed. When you made the quick turn, the burden was too much for your body to bear.

Senkaku: That's ridiculous. Why should it be too much for me and not you? We were moving at the same speed!

Kenshin: At the same speed, your weight is greater, and so you bore more force.

Senkaku: Ridiculous--ridiculous! This has never happened before! I should have been able to take it--

Saitou: The idiot hasn't noticed yet? When Battousai made a quick turn, he gradually increased his speed. You were trapped under the impression that your speed and his were equal. You've killed ninety-nine people, but the hundredth was yourself.

Soujirou: Wow ... everyone has a different view of the fight.

(Senkaku struggles to his feet. Kenshin turns his glare on him.)

Senkaku: No ... don't do it, don't do it. The ninety-nine people was only in a manner of speaking.

Kenshin: But the death of Eiji's family was your doing.

Shishio: Senkaku. I never expected you to win, but if you lose without showing me a single one of Battousai's techniques, I'll kill you myself.

(Senkaku lunges desperately at Kenshin.)

Misao: Here?

Guard: Yes. Take this door to the secret room.

Misao (bringing an elbow down on his head): Thank you. Well, good night. (to Eiji) They can't see us, you got that? Quietly now.

(They peek inside.)

Kenshin: Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuushousen!

(He smashes Senkaku under the chin with the flat of the blade.)

Saitou: Idiot ... showing mercy to that blockhead. Such weakness will prove fatal.

Kenshin (leveling the sword at Shishio): It doesn't matter. I'll make no such exertions for my "successor."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close