Himura_battousai
Chapter 65: Each on Their Way

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Today is the third day since Kenshin left the Kamiya dojo. He should already be on the second half of his journey, but-- Misao: Himura. Hey, Himura. It's lunchtime already. It's time to eat. Hey! Hey, I'm talking to you. Hey! (losing her temper and throwing a kunai at him) Quit ignoring me!

Kenshin (bleeding profusely): Ohhhhh (that hurt!)

Misao: What! You're deliberately walking through the forest. You're still trying to lose me, aren't you!

Kenshin: It's not deliberate. It's just that cutting through the forest is quicker than returning to the road. By evening we'll be back on the highway, but I hadn't intended to stop until then. You can eat while you walk, so if you have food, please go ahead.

Misao (pulling out a packet of food): I see. Let's go, then.

(little arrow--Hardtack. At the time, it was round.)

Misao: What about you? (Aren't you eating?)

Kenshin: Unfortunately, I didn't bring a lunch.

Misao: Oh. But these are mine, so I'm not giving you any.

Kenshin: Yes, yes.

Misao: But, if you tell me about Lord Aoshi, I'd be more than happy to share.

Kenshin: That's all right.

Misao (taking a bite): I wonder what they're doing right now...

(Elsewhere, Sanosuke fells a tree with a punch and another with a kick.)

Sanosuke: No. Just destroying nature isn't training. (he plunks himself down.) Think about it. I never did any training besides fighting all the time, so I don't know what to do. On top of that, I definitely should be on the Nakasen Way, but I was in the woods before I knew it. Well, let's figure out where Kyoto is. (digging a magnet on a string out of his pack) That's north ... Kyoto is west, so it must be ... that way. All right! On to Kyoto!

While Sanosuke is lost--

(At the clinic, a patient sits nervously with a pile of powder on his head. Megumi absent-mindedly applies a match to it.)

At the time, acupuncture and moxibustion were part of the doctor's arts.

Doctor: Megumi!! What are you doing??

Megumi (thinking): I wonder if Ken-san's all right ... Just Shishio's faction would be bad enough, but Shinomori Aoshi's after him too. (aloud) I'm worried.

(The patient runs around screaming; the doctor rushes in with a bucket of water.)

As Megumi's worries become worse--

(A ship at sea. Yahiko is sick in a bucket.)

Kaoru: Are you all right, Yahiko?

Yahiko: I'm not all right. I didn't know a ship would shake like this. You look fine.

Kaoru: I'm a little seasick, but it's not going to bother me. Those two days when I was cowering worried everyone, so I decided I'm not going to whine anymore.

(Yahiko smiles; and is sick again.)

Kaoru is back to her old self again, and Yahiko is almost dead of seasickness.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close