Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 54: The One to Stop Them

Kaoru: Somebody stop them--!!

(They exchange blows. The tip of Saitou's sword is shorn off.)

Battousai: Next time it will be your head that flies.

Yahiko: Wow ... Kenshin's much sharper today.

Kaoru: No! That's not Kenshin! That's Hitokiri Battousai! It's Battousai! Stop them! Somebody stop them--

Sanosuke (walking in, leaning on Megumi): It's no good, girl. They're not in Meiji Tokyo any more. They're fighting in Kyoto of the Bakumatsu. No matter how much you call, your voice can't reach them. Only someone who survived the violence of the Bakumatsu and tasted the shaking of Kyoto could stop this fight--

(A carriage races through the streets, knocking Tsubame back.)

Tae: Tsubame, are you all right?

Tsubame: Ye--yes.

Tae: Such a big carriages shouldn't ride through town like that. I don't know who this rich man is, but he must be in a hurry.

Inside the carriage: Kawaji. How long has Saitou been at the Kamiya dojo?

Kawaji: About ... four and a half hours.

Man: Hmm ... maybe we're too late. Tell the coachman to hurry. We should be there in ten minutes.

(At the dojo)

Saitou: You bastard, I'll use the Gatotsu even with a broken sword!

Battousai: I see the Shinsengumi still don't know how to retreat.

Saitou: The first principle of the Shinsengumi is that it is unworthy to deviate from the warrior's path. A warrior does not know how to flee before the enemy!!

(Battousai knocks Saitou's sword out of his hand with his left fist.)

Megumi: With his bare hand!

Sanosuke: To make an opening for the sword.

Battousai: So the Shinsengumi choose honor over life ... That's all right with me.

Sanosuke (thinking): That's the match. He can't keep off Kenshin's sword bare-handed--

(Saitou hits Battousai's hand with his belt; the reverse blade goes flying.)

Megumi: The belt from his uniform?!

Yahiko: When did he--

Saitou: I have you! (pummeling him)

Megumi: Ken-san!

Sanosuke: He's in trouble now! Without his sword Kenshin doesn't have a chance--

Saitou: With this-- (he whips off his jacket and pulls it taut around Battousai's throat, lifting him off the ground)--it's over!

Yahiko: He's trying to strangle him!

Sanosuke: Nothing so simple. He wants to break his neck...

Saitou: Give up! You can't fight me anymore!

(Battousai pushes down on the iron sheath at his belt, which catches Saitou under the chin. They separate and square off once again, both bloody and breathing hard.)

Sanosuke: Neither of them have any strength to spare. This next attack will be the last. It'll be life or death, or else they'll both kill each other.

Kaoru (thinking): Ken ... shin...

Saitou: It's time we finished this.

Battousai: Yes.

Yahiko: Kaoru!

(She runs forward to catch him... )

Kaoru (thinking): Kenshin! (her hand slides through empty air) Ken...

(They charge, roaring.)

Kaoru: NO!!!!!!

Kawaji (at the door): Stop!

(They freeze almost in mid-air.)

Kawaji: Come to your senses, Saitou! Your mission was only to test Battousai's abilities!

Saitou: It isn't your place to interfere.

Okubo (entering behind him): I knew about your honor as one of the Shinsengumi, but I don't want you or Himura to die a pointless death here.

Battousai: So you're the one pulling Saitou's strings. Originally one of the Ishin Shishi from Satsuma, the director of the Department of Internal Affairs, Okubo Toshimichi.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close