Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 53: A Call and Answer

(Saitou's upward thrust pins Kenshin to the ceiling.)

Yahiko: Kenshin!

Saitou: Twisting your waist so you at least avoided being impaled. A better response than I thought, but (twisting the blade free) your finish is weak!

(Kenshin hits the floor.)

Saitou: An avoided thrust can become an attack from the side in an instant. The Hiratsuki, as devised by the tactics genius Hijikata Toshizou, the second-in-command of the Shinsengumi, has no weak points. And my Gatotsu is even more so.

Kaoru (thinking): That stance ... he's going to do it again...

In real combat, it's extremely rare to meet the same enemy twice. When it does happen, if there is one technique that can bring him down, all others become useless. To polish one's own specialized techniques until they become certain death. The Shinsengumi's true strength isn't fighting in groups, it's here. (Saitou charges; Kenshin rushes forward to meet him.)

Yahiko (thinking): The sword--a weapon breaker!

Saitou (sending Kenshin flying back into the wall): You struggle in vain! It is nameless, but my beloved blade and these techniques have served me well in countless dangers from the time of the Bakumatsu until now. You won't break them now.

Yahiko (thinking): No good. He's too strong...

Kaoru: Kenshin! (she rushes over to him) Ken...

(Kenshin's eyes are cold and angry. She stops, surprised.)

Saitou: Stand aside, little girl. (she whirls around to face him.) You're in the way.

(Kaoru refuses to move. Kenshin puts a hand on her shoulder.)

Kenshin: Let's go.

Saitou (thinking): The response to the second attack, trying to break the sword, must have been faster than to the first one. He's taken a deep wound to the chest and yet ... Since he's settled here he's fought Zanza, the Oniwabanshuu, Shinomori Aoshi and Raijuuta all in a short time. He's learned to accept victory by awakening the strength of the Hitokiri that sleeps inside him. It's as I thought. When he picks up the sword, although he doesn't know it --little by little he's reverting to Hitokiri Battousai. (Kenshin charges.) He wasn't this fast before. (Kenshin is a blur before him.) He disappeared! Below--

(He kicks out, knocking Kenshin back.)

Saitou (thinking): Now ... that exceeded my expectations by far.

Kaoru (thinking): He's breathing too hard. Could it be that his body couldn't keep up with that show of strength? It must have taken more than he thought--

(Slowly Kenshin brings his breathing under control, gazing fiercely at Saitou.)

Kaoru (thinking): No.

Saitou (thinking): By fighting an old enemy, has the sense of ten years ago been revived? Has he become Hitokiri Battousai once more? Or simply feeling sharp? (aloud) Only this will tell. The true from of the Gatotsu. No holding back.

Yahiko: He's ... he's been holding back up till now!

(Saitou stabs forward. Kenshin sidesteps.)

Saitou (thinking): Fast! But he's completely forgotten about the side attack. Merely sharp after all--

(Kenshin whips his sword around in a backhanded blow to the base of Saitou's skull. Saitou is driven through the dojo wall.)

Yahiko: Amazing. Avoiding the blow and turning at the same time. A blow to the back full of centrifugal force!

Kenshin: After being shown the Gatotsu four times in succession, even a fool would think of one or two counterattacks. Get up, Saitou. It would be disappointing to end our battle like this after ten years.

Saitou (climbing to his feet): I was only trying to test your strength. But my plans have changed. I'll kill you now.

Kenshin: You must be dreaming. I should be the one to say that.

(Kaoru falls to her knees.)

Kaoru (thinking): It's the same ... it's exactly the same as with Jin'eh... (aloud) Stop them ... somebody stop them... (thinking) If this goes on, "Kenshin" won't be here anymore!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close