Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 52: The Wolf Bares his Fangs

Saitou: The last time we fought must have been the battle of Tobafushimi. So, it has been about ... ten years.

Kaoru (thinking) Ten years... (aloud) Kenshin, you know Mr. Fujita?

Kenshin: He's changed his name to Fujita Gorou. He was the captain of the Shinsengumi third unit, Saitou Hajime.

Kaoru: The Shinsengumi...

Yahiko: Then you're the one after Kenshin...

Saitou: Ten years ... it's only two words. But to live it is a long time.

Kenshin: ... Yes ... Enough time for a man to go bad. Udou Jin'eh was twisted from the beginning, but you weren't. In the days of the Bakumatsu even though you were vicious, if you fought, it was by a fair and honorable challenge. Attacking an enemy's friend to scare him, setting your dog on him and using that opening to take hostages--such cheap tricks would have been beneath you. You aren't the Saitou Hajime that I knew as a warrior.

(Saitou begins to laugh.)

Yahiko: Bastard! What's so funny!

Saitou: It is funny, boy. I can't help laughing. I thought your sword had dulled, but I see your wits have dulled as well. Akamatsu my dog? What use could I have for a such a weakling? We, who fought Hitokiri Battousai the most often, knew his strength most deeply. But now Akamatsu gave you trouble. The vagabond who does not kill has made you weak.

Kaoru: Kenshin...

Yahiko: ... weak?

Kenshin: Saitou. It doesn't matter to me what you think. If I only have the strength of the vagabond who protects others reflected in my eyes, it's enough. I don't need the strength of the murderous Hitokiri anymore.

Saitou: The strength of a vagabond ... then you're a failure even as a vagabond. While you were fighting a desperate battle with Akamatsu, I was here all along. And as I presented myself as a police officer, no one thought anything of it. (drawing his sword) In other words, if I wanted to, I could have killed them at any time. And it's not just this time you failed. With Jin'eh, with Kanryuu. Always, those you said you would protect fell into your enemy's hands. And in the end, because of the fool Raijuuta, one will be scarred for the rest of his life.

Kaoru (thinking): The incident with Raijuuta didn't have anything to do with the police! He's been watching Kenshin all along--

Saitou: Having only a fragment of your strength is like having nothing at all. These words of a hypocrite make me sick.

Yahiko: Back off! No one's died since Kenshin was here!

Saitou: But that may not last.

(Kenshin is silent.)

Kaoru (thinking): Kenshin...

Saitou: I thought Battousai would understand this himself, and I set Akamatsu on him. But as you said, ten years is enough time for a man to go bad. This vagabond who does not kill is drowning in the complacency of so-called justice. Why would Hitokiri Battousai protect without killing? Have you forgotten? Kill. Evil. Instantly. That was the one truth we shared with the Hitokiri. I cannot stand to see any more of this.

Kenshin: No matter what you say, I will not kill anymore.

Saitou: Really. (falling into his stance) Come. I deny it all.

(Kenshin remains where he is.)

Saitou: What's wrong. Do you want the Gatotsu to hit the girl as you look on?

(Kenshin takes a step forward and is pulled back. Kaoru, head down, is hanging onto his sleeve.)

Kenshin (gently removing her hand): Miss Kaoru. It's all right. Whatever happens, he's after me. I can't prevent this fight.

Kaoru: But... (thinking) I have the strangest feeling that Kenshin won't be here anymore...

Saitou: Come.

Kenshin: You're the challenger.

Saitou: Hmm. I see. (charging forward) Let's go!!

(He strikes the wall. Kenshin leaps above him, drawing his sword.)

Yahiko: The Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuutsuisen! (thinking) Who's weak? Kenshin's the strongest after all!

Saitou: You mean to avoid me, Battousai?!

(He strikes upwards.)

Kenshin (thinking): The Taikuu Gatotsu?

Kaoru: Kenshin!!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close