Himura_battousai
Chapter 50: Despicable Acts

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Sanosuke's life was saved. "The wound was deep, but he's lucky there was no injury to the internal organs," said Megumi. But it's been three days, and he still hasn't regained consciousness ... Kaoru: Megumi, the bath's free. I'll watch Sanosuke, so take your time. You look tired.

Megumi: Thanks, I'll do that.

Kaoru: How is he?

Megumi: Same as ever. Still sleeping. He's strong as a cockroach, so he'll be fine, but if he doesn't wake up soon, (smacking him irritably) I'm just going to stick him in a coffin and bury him anyway.

Kaoru (thinking): You'd never think she was a doctor...

Megumi: Is Ken-san in the dojo again?

Kaoru: Yes. Same as ever. He's thinking about something with a scary look on his face.

(Kenshin is sitting in the dojo in the light of a single candle.)

Kenshin (thinking): No matter how I think of it, it has to be his work. The medicine box with that sign was used by Shinsengumi spies for disguises. The point of the blade stabbed horizontally is a sign of the Shinsengumi unique technique called Hiratsuki. And this destructive force ... it has to be his specialized left-handed Hiratsuki Gatotsu ... The captain of the Shinsengumi third unit, Saitou Hajime. Come to settle what we never finished ... or does he have some other intention.

(He suddenly slashes at the dojo wall with all his might, barely cracking it.)

Kenshin (thinking): Saitou Hajime's skill with the sword hasn't waned at all from the time when he was called the Miburo ... with the reverse blade ... without killing ... could I defeat him... (realizing what he's done) Oh no! (Miss Kaoru's going to scold me for this.)

(the next day, at another restaurant)

Waitress: There you are. Please take your time.

Saitou: Thank you.

Akamatsu (appearing suddenly before him): Huh. Just a plain bowl of soba? Not much of a meal. Is it, Mister Saitou.

(Akamatsu is a large man with his hair in a samurai topknot and stitches running across cuts on his cheeks and forehead.)

Saitou: I like plain soba. And I'm Fujita now. Mr ... Akamatsu, wasn't it? Do you want something?

Akamatsu: I don't want anything, but you annoy me. This job should have been mine, but when he heard about the Shinsengumi guy, Master Shibumi gave it to a newcomer. That's why I don't like you. All right. If you fight, fight right away. And you'd better kill him quickly. You never know when someone will be there to stab you in the back.

(Saitou chuckles as he slurps his noodles.)

Akamatsu: What's so funny!

Saitou: Nothing, I'm sorry. I understand, you're telling me that you're annoyed. So why don't we work on this together?

Akamatsu: Wha ... what?

Saitou: The other day, when I left him his present, I was giving him some signs. By now Battousai should know I'm here. But from that alone he won't guess my intentions. If a letter arrived from me, whether it had anything to do with fighting or not, he would be certain to fall for it.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close