Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 49: Cruel as a Wolf

(Saitou stabs Sanosuke in the shoulder, smashing him straight through the dojo wall. The blade snaps.)

Saitou (tossing it aside): It's convenient to carry a swordcane, but they're about as strong as toys. The Japanese sword is, after all, the best--

Sanosuke: Where're you going, you slit-eyed bastard. We're not finished yet.

(He is bleeding heavily, but on his feet.)

Saitou: You show good spirit. But it'd be better if you just went quietly to sleep. The wound is not life-threatening, but it's deep.

Sanosuke (charging): Shut up! I may be wounded, but your sword's broken! The fight starts here!

(Saitou blocks the punch, then drives the fragment of sword deeper into Sanosuke's shoulder. Sanosuke reels. Saitou takes his wrist in one hand and his head in the other.)

Saitou: Sleep.

(He smashes him into the dojo floor.)

Kaoru: What're you walking so slow for, Kenshin?

Kenshin: Mm...

Kaoru: If you keep dawdling it'll get dark. (to Yahiko) He doesn't look well. I wonder if his stomach hurts or some--

Megumi (behind her): Oh, that's my cue.

Kaoru: Me--Megumi!! (What are you doing here?)

Megumi: What, are you surprised? We all come and go beneath Heaven. Why can't our paths simply cross? (smiling) Actually, I have today and tomorrow off. I thought I'd come over and play.

Kaoru: No way! No vixens in my house!

Megumi: Ohh, and who was it that treated Yuta, hm? And for free?

*Actually she was paid later by Yuzaemon.

Megumi: Yahiko, what do you think? I'll cook dinner.

Yahiko: Fine by me. Don't be so mean, Kaoru.

Kaoru: TRAITOR!!!!

Megumi: Ken-san, is it all right with you if I come over?

Kenshin: Mm...

Megumi: Oh, you really don't look well. Do want me to have a look at you?

Kenshin (waking up): No, I'm fine. It's nothing. (thinking) I should stop fretting ... I'll only cause them worry. I said it was because I was dreaming of the old days, but being deep in thought won't solve anything. Even though there should be an answer--

(They see the hole in the dojo wall.)

Megumi: This...

Kaoru: What on earth could have happened!

Kenshin (thinking): The smell of blood... ?! (opening the door) Sano!!!

(That evening, in a restaurant, a businessman, Shibumi, meets with Saitou. A shadowed figure, Akamatsu, lurks besides them.)

Shibumi: Well, first have a drink, Fujita. Or here I may as well call you Saitou.

Saitou: As you like. But nothing for me tonight.

Shibumi: I wouldn't have expected you to be a non-drinker.

Saitou: No, not at all. It's a weakness. It was my nature when I drank to want to kill excessively. Since it's the Meiji era now, I refrain.

Shibumi: Ah... (laughing nervously) ha ha ha. You're promising indeed.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close