Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 42: You Don't Know

Doctor: For good or ill, Kenshin's right arm took some of the force of the blow, so the arm wasn't cut off completely. But he won't be able to do kenjutsu again.

Yahiko: Stop joking! He was doing great! He was a genius! Or he would have been! You're a doctor! Do something!

Doctor: There's nothing I can do.

Megumi: I'm sorry, Yahiko. It's hard, but medicine isn't perfect ... Yahiko!

(He runs out.)

Kaoru: Yahiko...

Doctor (to Kenshin): Are you going?

Kenshin: Yes.

Doctor: I know there's nothing I can do to stop you, but tell me one thing. This "Izuna" technique...

Kenshin: It's actually a wave of a vacuum, a traveling gap in the air.

Doctor: How did you notice...

Kenshin: Just now. A large wound which doesn't bleed is a distinct characteristic. For an instant I could see the tip shimmer like heat haze in summer. The difference produced for an instant in the depths of the air was the beginning of my understanding ... however, this could not have been a mistake. (stepping outside) Be that as it may, my sword will destroy the secret sword Izuna!

(Back in the forest)

Raijuuta: He's late ... It's been more than half an hour. He must have seen how terrible the secret sword is and run away.

Sanosuke (sitting on one of the sliced statues): Idiot. Which road do you take when you're running from something weaker than yourself? Or maybe you're the one looking for an excuse to back out. It's not that easy. Kenshin's your enemy whether you like it or not. But if you could run, you'd do it for your own good.

Raijuuta: Watch your mouth, boy. I have some free time and I don't mind playing with you first.

Sanosuke (standing up): As long as it's all right with you. I don't know about swordsmen, but when the master street fighter is your opponent, you lose. You're finished.

(a moment of silence, broken only by the sound of running footsteps behind them.)

Sanosuke: Feh. Looks like neither of us have any luck. You're about to sent home crying. Enter the real fight.

(Yahiko rushes in, bowling Sanosuke over.)

Yahiko: I demand revenge for Yutarou! Prepare yourself!

Raijuuta: Feh ... this is the real fight?

Sanosuke (holding Yahiko back): Idiot! You can't beat this guy!

Yahiko: Shut up! Let me go! Even if I can't beat him, I'll never surrender!

Kenshin: You won't have to surrender.

Yahiko: Ken... (he stops when he sees Kenshin's expression.)

Sanosuke (to Yahiko): If you want revenge, it's better if you win. Right?

Yahiko: I understand. Beat him for me.

Kenshin: You have my word.

(Another long moment.)

Raijuuta (grinding his teeth): This time for sure ... I'll destroy you! (raising his sword) And then, I'll create the age of my Shinko school!!

(Kenshin merely turns sideways, letting the sword go past.)

Sanosuke: No surprise. Watch it the first time, take it the second, and the third time you can do it. The edge of the secret sword Tobi Izuna is amazing; you can't stop it. But it's not difficult to dodge for someone so good he can stop a bullet.

Raijuuta: Then take this!!!!!

Yahiko: A wild Tobi Izuna!!

(Again, the surroundings are shredded as Raijuuta makes stroke after stroke of the Tobi Izuna. Kenshin misses each by a deliberate hair's breath until finally one blow grazes his right wrist.)

Raijuuta (in a jubilant rage): What you saw was the Izuna! The secret sword I discovered after ten years of searching the writings of the old-style secrets! This is the symbol of my Shinko school! The ultimate killing technique!

Kenshin: You're happy with this?

Raijuuta: What?

Kenshin: This tiny cut, and you're happy? You are truly a great killer. (licking the blood from the cut) I believe this now, Raijuuta. Though you preach the killer's sword, you've never killed before. Someone who had killed, who was a true Hitokiri, would never be so pleased with himself if he had not brought his opponent down. You don't know the depths of the hell for those who carry the Hitokiri's sword. In your ignorance, with your childish sword you have stolen kenjutsu from Yutarou. Prepare to pay for this crime!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close