Himura_battousai
Chapter 37: Conversation at the Tsukayama Estate

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(At the Kamiya Kasshin dojo)

Sanosuke: Isurugi Raijuuta ... Huh. Can't remember the last time I met a guy that interesting.

Kaoru (whacking him with a shinai): It wasn't "interesting"! Because of him the Maekawa dojo will have to close for a while!

Sanosuke (dodging): But there's nothing you can do. (catching the tip) Maekawa and Raijuuta fought fairly, right? And one side lost.

Kaoru: But--

Sanosuke: If he's the master of that school and that style, saying his opponent was too strong is no excuse. Right, Kenshin?

Kenshin: That's certainly true. (thinking) Even so, he was too strong. He had passed the point of needing to hone his skills or showing off for the fun of it. Why would someone who treats the shinai with contempt, a trueborn killer, have to gain by destroying dojos...

Messenger (entering the gate): Excuse me. Is this the residence of Mr. Himura Kenshin?

Kenshin: I'm Himura.

Messenger: Oh? Then this is for you. (he hands him a letter with "invitation" written on the front.)

Kenshin: An invitation?

Messenger: Yes.

(He turns it over. Raijuuta's name is written on the back.)

Kaoru: What on earth...

Sanosuke: It's gotta be a challenge.

Messenger: Well, I'm merely a servant, so I couldn't say. But there's a carriage waiting for you outside. Please.

(They are taken to a mansion with a spacious Japanese garden outside.)

Sanosuke: Hey, this Raijuuta is some rich guy?

Kaoru: No way! He's such a thug...

Tsukayama (coming out of the house): Are you Mr. Himura? Good to meet you. I am Tsukayama Yuzaemon, the master of this house.

Yahiko: Tsukayama ... not that brat's dad?

Yutarou (coming out of nowhere to kick Yahiko from behind): You're the brat!!

Kenshin: Oro.

Yutaro: Raijuuta-sensei only called Himura! What are you doing here!

Tsukayama: Stop it, Yutarou! I won't permit such behavior towards the sensei's guest. (to Kenshin) I apologize. My son is very rude.

Kenshin: Oh no, not at all.

Yahiko & Yutarou (thinking): I'll get you someday!

Tsukayama: The sensei is waiting near the pond. Yutarou, take care of our other guests.

(He and Kenshin walk off.)

Yutarou: Guess I'm stuck with you. We've probably got some leftover tea and scraps around someplace.

Sanosuke (undoing one of the bandages at his wrists): Oh, don't put yourself out. Sorry, but you'll just have to keep out of our way.

Yutarou: Huh?

Tsukayama: I'm a merchant exporting swords overseas. As you're probably aware, Japanese swords fetch high prices in Europe as works of art. However, there are those who resent this. Three months ago my carriage was attacked by bandits. I was saved by the sensei. Since then, he's stayed here as a kenjutsu instructor for Yutarou. A man must grow up to be strong. Don't you think? Sensei.

(Raijuuta, standing on a bridge, looks back to meet Kenshin's gaze.)

Tsukayama (leaving): Well, take your time.

Sanosuke (hidden in the bushes with Kaoru and Yahiko): So that's Raijuuta.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close