Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 24: Hanya's Costume, Shikijou's Scars

Yahiko: He's a demon...

(Hanya's face is horribly deformed, with no nose, no lips, and mismatching eyes.)

Hanya: A demon? Heh heh ... This face is convenient in its way. You don't have to like it.

Kenshin: You ... is that face your own...

Hanya: Well now. I am a spy. My primary duties are not fighting, but gathering information. I can disguise my face in any way. I burned off my lips. Cut off my ears and nose. Smashed my cheekbones ... I don't know where you're from, but in the region where I was born there are a lot of poor villagers. In villages like that parents sometimes kill their children if they can't afford to feed them. It's still a custom today. Where I come from, it's called "returning the child."

Sanosuke: So you were...

Hanya: Even though they were almost starving, my family couldn't do it. If I had been "returned" then, my life would have ended. Instead, I could only hang around like a dog, kill or steal like a lone wolf. However!

(Long claw-like blades rip out of his gloves.)

Yahiko: Kagitsume!

Hanya: Lord Aoshi picked me up when I was a lone wolf and raised me to be the finest spy! Now I am one of the Edo Castle Oniwabanshuu. I was given these compatriots as something to live for!! If it would help Lord Aoshi, I would give up my face, my life--anything!!

(he leaps forward)

Sanosuke: Watch out, Kenshin! He's crazy! He'd risk it all for his Okashira ... the Oniwabanshuu ... A mad demon!

Kenshin: Answer me one thing, Hanya! Did you know about Miss Megumi's past?

Hanya: There's only one thing an Oniwabanshuu spy doesn't know--nothing!

(Kenshin blocks the claws with his sword. Hanya twists, trying to break it, but the sword holds true. He springs away, leaping off from the opposite wall. Kenshin rushes forward to meet him. They trade blows, and Kenshin takes a cut to the shoulder.)

Hanya: It's no good. (his claws splinter and break) You're nowhere near as good as Lord ... Aoshi... (he collapses.)

Yahiko: He's finally down.

Sanosuke: A tough guy.

Kenshin: ... Hanya. Even though you of all people should know the bitterness of being alone, you couldn't think of Miss Megumi...

Sanosuke: Kenshin...

Kenshin (sheathing the sword): Miss Megumi's waiting. Let's hurry.

(They set off running)

Sanosuke: You okay?

Kenshin: The wounds are minor. They've already stopped bleeding.

Sanosuke (thinking): And Hanya idolized this Shinomori Aoshi ... what kind of man could he be...

(A giant iron ball on a chain smashes between them. It's wielded by a large man covered in scars, standing at the top of the stairs.)

Shikijou: If you've come this far you must have beaten Hanya. Well done. (He snaps the chain, bringing the iron ball to rest in his hand.) Oniwabanshuu Keeper of the Castle Gate, Shikijou. Instead of a greeting, let's have a game.

(He throws the ball again. Sanosuke catches it with both hands.)

Kenshin: Sano!

Sanosuke: It's okay. Leave this muscle freak to me. You hurry up. I'll take care of him, and we can go get that twisted girl!

Kenshin: Sano ... Let's go, Yahiko!

(Picking up Yahiko, he zips up the stairs past Shikijou, who makes no move to stop him.)

Sanosuke: Why you ... you knew Kenshin could get past you from the start!

Shikijou: It's nothing. It's standard practice to give way to the best. So I'll have to put up with a third-rate match. The street fighter Zanza. Surprised? Hanya told me all about you. Including your underworld name. I know what you're worth without your zanbatou.

Sanosuke (throwing down the ball and driving it into the floor): Make no mistake, you patchwork doll! Even without a zanbatou, I've still got these two fists!! I'm the one putting up with third-rate!!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close