Himura_battousai
Chapter 18: Kenshin's Company Charges

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Megumi: His ... his sword kept off the flame. (thinking) He's no mere swordsman. What is he...

Hyottoko (snatching the barrel strapped to his back): I'm not through with you yet!

Kaoru: He's trying to refill the oil!

(Kenshin moves to stop him, but Sanosuke stands between them.)

Sanosuke: Thanks for the help, but this guy's mine. Sorry, but I'm starting over from the beginning!

Kenshin (lowering his sword): I understand. You can take it from here.

Sanosuke: Leave it to me!

Kaoru: Will you stop the stupid macho act? Sanosuke, your leg's hurt!

(The barrel smashes against the wall.)

Hyottoko (wiping his mouth): Refill complete. You fool. You came back just to get burned.

Sanosuke: You're the fool. You think that trick'll work twice?

Hyottoko: You too think my technique is a mere sideshow trick? (breathing fire) I'll cremate you!

Beshimi: A giant Kaentoiki! This time there's no escape!

Sanosuke: Yeah right!

(He dives straight into the flame.)

Kenshin: A good move. He'll be hurt less if he heads straight for the sac rather than trying to dodge.

(Sanosuke punches Hyottoko's open mouth, seizing the tube and pulling.)

Sanosuke: I'll take this! (holding up the bag) This trick you're so proud of is filth. You've got no chance left. Give it up.

Hyottoko (charging for another punch): You're the one without a chance! With burns on both arms you can't--

(Sanosuke lands a kick to the face, bowling him over.)

Sanosuke: You can kick in a fight too. With such short legs you didn't think of it. (thumbs up) Easy win!

Kenshin (smiling): Considering you're covered from head to foot with burns--

(Sanosuke turns on him, scowling)

Kaoru: They won ... no matter what you say, they're strong...

Megumi: They're more than just strong ... Who on earth are they...

Kaoru: I told you. You don't know them. Those two are people friends can count on and be proud of.

(Megumi says nothing.)

Kaoru (running forward): Are you okay? Ohh, you really are hurt. Looks like you just barely won...

Kenshin: Doesn't it?

Sanosuke: You too...

Megumi (watching them and thinking): Friends...

Kaoru (looking at the unconscious Hyottoko): What are we going to do with him?

Sanosuke: Yeah. Even if we splashed him with water--

Beshimi: Damn ... Damn ... that idiot Hyottoko was beaten easily! We failed again! No... (thinking) The cause of all this is Takani Megumi! If only you hadn't run away when I had my chance--! (aloud) I don't know what Takeda Kanryuu wants with you, but after what you've done to me--(he aims with another pellet--you will not escape unharmed!

Kenshin (thinking): Killing ki! (aloud) Watch out! There's still someone here!

Beshimi: I'll kill you!!

Kenshin: There!

(Beshimi snaps his fingers.)

Yahiko (diving in front of Megumi): Watch out!!

Kaoru (rushing over): Yahiko! What do you think you're doing? That thing's small but what if it hit your heart or something?! This is dangerous, so stay back!

Yahiko (picking himself up): Stop joking. I don't really know why but aren't Kenshin and Sanosuke protecting this woman? I'm one of Kenshin's company too. So even if it's futile, I'll try to protect her too. You should have more faith in one of your own students--

(He collapses)

Kaoru: Yahiko!!

Beshimi: That's what you get for sticking your nose in other people's business! The brat'll be gone in an hour! Poisoned Rasenbyo! The true weapon of the Oniwabanshuu's Beshimi! I'll get you all! You're next, you red-haired basta--

(Kenshin smashes him from behind, but only a log wrapped in Beshimi's jacket hits the ground. The third figure stands by Hyottoko, holding the unconscious Beshimi.)

Kenshin (thinking): He could have done it...

Kaoru: Kenshin, Yahiko's ... Yahiko's--

Sanosuke: Yahiko, wake up! Yahiko! Yahiko!

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close