Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 17: Attack of the Oniwaban

(Kenshin is drawing up a chart)

Kanryuu Takeda

Soldiers--Yakuza (30) Swordsmen (10) Infantry (10) Others (10) Okashira--Oniwabanshuu

Kenshin: So, these are Kanryuu's sixty-odd fighters. The Oniwabanshuu?

Megumi: Hmm. I don't think there's more than ten of them.

Kenshin: Next. Where is the opium kept?

(she sticks out her tongue.)

Kenshin (sighing): Are you always going to keep silent about the opium?

Megumi: I'm telling you this in order to make your fighting easier. It has nothing to do with opium. Instead of asking so many questions, just get rid of them. (thinking) If it really comes to a fight with the Oniwabanshuu ... these people couldn't handle them at all. There's no point in staying here too long. If I leave while everyone's distracted by the fighting, I could get far away before anyone notices.

(Kaoru is sneaking along outside the room.)

Kenshin: Well, Miss Megumi, what about--

Megumi: I won't answer any further!

(Kaoru creeps cautiously outside and puts her ear to the door.)

Sanosuke: You'd make a good peeping tom, little girl. The master of the Kamiya Kasshin school would weep.

Kaoru: But--but--but--but--but they're alone together in that room!!

Sanosuke (grudgingly patting her on the head): Okay, okay. It's all right. It's not what you're thinking, so just relax.

Kaoru (tears streaming from big marble eyes): But why--

Sanosuke: It's his nature. He sees someone in trouble and he just can't help himself. That's his nature as a vagabond. The sword is incredibly strong, but the person is incredibly weak when people are involved. Women and children especially--

Kaoru: You can say that about him. (slight pause) But, then aren't you the same?

Sanosuke: Stupid. This is just revenge for my friend. I could care less about that vixen!

Kenshin (coming out): Sano, there's no trouble, is there?

Sanosuke: Nope.

Kenshin (tossing him the paper): Here's the layout of Kanryuu and his followers. I think it's best if we're familiar with those other than the Oniwabanshuu as well. We can't be careless.

Sanosuke (studying the paper): Kenshin. You've got really bad handwriting.

Kaoru: Yeah, it's just like Watsuki's...

Kenshin: That's great, can we get back to the story?

(They get back to the story.)

Kenshin: And, Miss Kaoru. I can't share the details, but there could be an incident or two. There won't be another stupid blunder like the time with Jin'eh. I will be sure to protect you. (smiling) And so I want you to close your eyes for a while, okay?

Kaoru (sighing): I understand. But when all this is over I want an explanation.

Mysterious Voice: Heh heh heh. I heard you, Kenshin!

(General shock.)

(the mysterious voice turns out to be Yahiko, squished under the porch.)

Yahiko: What's this about a fight?

Kenshin: Yahiko, how long have you--

Kaoru: The kid's pretty flexible...

Yahiko: Since last night. That's why my face is all flat. (bouncing back to normal) This is cruel! I'm the only one left out! I'm one of your company too!

Sanosuke: What?

Kenshin: When did I get one of those?

Sanosuke: Don't be ridiculous. You're just a kid.

Yahiko: What, you... ! You talk too much, and you're just a Sanosuke! (kicking him) Knock it off!!

Sanosuke (blocking casually) No chance, kid.

(Megumi watches them scuffle through the open door. She remembers her own family... )

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close