Himura_battousai
Chapter 5: A Fighting Man

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

(A punch, and a man goes down, losing his knife and a couple of teeth. An alley is strewn with fallen fighters, around a single man carrying a long, thin wrapped bundle. His name is Zanza. There is only one other man left who is still conscious, and he is sitting up against a fence.)

Man: I know, we've lost. You're strong. Please, spare me.

Zanza: You don't have to say it. I'm already done. You're too weak! If I kept going I'd just be picking on a bunch of weaklings. I bought into a boring fight. Aren't there any real fighters around here?

Kenshin: Oro?

(He's splitting wood outside the dojo. Kaoru comes out of the house waving a scroll.)

Kaoru: We won't have to worry about expenses for a while! I was cleaning out the closet and found this! My grandfather painted it--

Kenshin: Oh! Doodles!

Kaoru: It's an ink painting!! My grandfather taught kenjutsu too, but he did some painting on the side. We can sell it for some money. (hugging the scroll) Oh, thank you, grandfather.

Yahiko: Money-grubber.

Kaoru: This calls for a celebration. Let's go have some sukiyaki!

Yahiko (being restrained by Kenshin): You think being all humble is going to make it all right?!! The Meiji era of culture and enlightenment had many effects; the new era saw the introduction of various new kinds of foods. Among them was gyuunabe, or what is now called sukiyaki. It was something the ordinary people could afford to eat, which won great popularity and showed the influence of western cooking. (they enter a restaurant called the Akabeko. The store's hostess, Tae, greets them)

Tae: Welcome--oh, it's you, Kaoru!

Kaoru: I haven't seen you in a long time, Tae.

Tae: You're looking better all the time. I haven't seen your friends before. (pointing at Kenshin) Is that your sweetheart?

Kaoru (blushing): No, no, he's just staying at the dojo.

(Three men are having a noisy argument the next booth over.)

Man 1: The world of democracy and freedom will never come that way. We have to be more radical--

Man 2: But that means throwing Itagaki-sensei into the world of death.

Man 3: Exactly! Okubo of the Department of Internal Affairs wouldn't even pardon the great Saigou.

Man 1: Okubo is great! He'll become a star just like the great Saigou.

Man 2: Idiot! This talk of stars is only fit for fairy tales.

Man 3: If Itagaki-sensei dies, freedom dies too!

Tae: They come here occasionally, but when they're drunk they're always like this.

Kenshin: They sound like supporters of the Civil Rights and Freedom movement.

Kaoru: I don't know what they're talking about though.

Yahiko: They're just drunks.

Tae: Well, let's not worry about it. Sukiyaki for three?

Kaoru: Mm-hmm, and three coffees after. Yahiko, (patting him on the head) have you ever had coffee?

Yahiko: You'd better knock that off.

Kenshin: You are in a good mood, Miss Kaoru-- (he freezes suddenly)

Kaoru: Kenshin?

(A thrown sake bottle breaks against his head.)

Kaoru: Kenshin!

Kenshin: Oro ro...

Man 1: Try saying that again!

Man 2: I'll say it as many times as I want!

Man 3: You're nothing but a puppet--

Yahiko: Hey, what are you arguing for when you're throwing sake bottles at people! Apologize first, then you can talk about it!

(They stare at him a minute.)

Men: Shut up!! It'd take a brat like you a hundred years to learn enough to give opinions to us!

Yahiko: Don't give me that brat shit! I'm telling you to apologize, you drunks!

Man 2: How dare you call us drunk! We're from the Movement for Freedom and Civil--

Yahiko: Anyone who drinks can get drunk!

Tae (hurrying over): Gentlemen, please. Let's not cause trouble.

Man 1 (hitting her): Shut up! So a woman thinks she can stand against us now?

Kaoru: Tae!

(A hand reaches out to catch her.)

Zanza: Careful. (steadying her) The Movement is for the sake of the weak. Supporters of the cause shouldn't act like this. Or maybe you mean something different by Civil Rights and Freedoms? Like the freedom to get drunk and cause trouble?

Drunks: Why you--

Zanza: You all right?

Tae: Y--yes.

Drunks: You looking for a fight?

Zanza: Yeah. I do that from time to time. I'm just your ordinary specialist. I hate guys who pick on the weak, I hate seeing 'em. But I really hate the ones that yap about pretty things like freedom, or justice, or equality. I've had enough of those hypocritical bastards!

Drunks: Let's take this outside!

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close