Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 3: Descendant of Tokyo Samurai Myoujin Yahiko

The day after Kenshin defeated the Sword-bearing Police, rumors flew and people gathered in the Kamiya Kasshin dojo. Kaoru: Wow, there's more than fifteen people here! The Kamiya Kasshin school is revived!

Kenshin: This isn't good.

Kaoru: Huh?

Kenshin: Excuse me, everyone. I'm not originally from this school, and I'm not taking any pupils, so if you came because you saw the disturbance yesterday, I'm sorry, but please leave.

(Kaoru stands staring at an empty yard.)

Kenshin: Well, I'll go start the fire for the bath.

Kaoru (slamming him with her shinai): You idiot!! They all left!!

Kenshin (spiral-eyed): Because I'm not originally--

Kaoru (attempting to strangle him): But why'd you have to tell them to leave!! (punching him) It would have saved the school!!

Kenshin: That would be dishonest.

(Later. They walk across a bridge, Kaoru carrying her kendo equipment.)

Kaoru: Honestly!

Kenshin: Are you still mad?

Kaoru: Of course I am! There were more than fifteen of them!

Kenshin: But a pupil who's only half interested won't last half a year. It won't help to worry about it. There's nothing you can do now. It's better to keep a cheerful, patient spirit.

Kaoru: But with no pupils I have to walk to another dojo for practice! Since you won't practice with me.

Kenshin: I'm not much good with a shinai.

(A kid walks straight into him from behind.)

Kenshin: Oro.

Kaoru: Wait! (running after the kid and wrestling him to the ground.) Kenshin, this kid's a pickpocket! Here's your wallet!

Kid: Damn you! Lemme go, you hag!

Kaoru: Ex-excuse me! I'm the one they call the kenjutsu beauty!

Kid: Shut up, hag!

Kenshin (as Kaoru hands him his wallet): Now, now. There's really nothing we can do if it was stolen. Here, child. Next time don't get caught. (picking up Kaoru's bag and walking away) Let's go.

Kaoru: But--but Kenshin!

(the kid watches them go for a moment, then throws the wallet at Kenshin.)

Kenshin: Oro!

Kid: I'm not a child! I'm the son of a Tokyo samurai, Myoujin Yahiko! I haven't sunk so low that I need pity from strangers! I was just making fun of you cause you're wearing a sword! Don't get me wrong, you idiot!!

Kenshin (sweetly): Child.

Yahiko: I'm not a child!!

Kenshin: You have the form of a child, but your heart is already that of an adult. I'm sorry. I underrated you.

Yahiko: Feh. (he give him one last evil look and runs off.)

Kenshin (watching him go): Foolish pride, or a strong sense of honor?

Kaoru: Just plain rude, if you ask me.

Kenshin: That child ... in a better world, he would be a fine samurai.

(Yahiko is sitting by the riverbanks as the sun sets. Two men approach.)

Man1: Here he is ... We've been looking for you, Yahiko. This month's payment is due today. Let's have it.

Yahiko: Get out of here.

Man1: What's that?

Yahiko: I'm not stealing anymore. And I'm not with you yakuza creeps anymore either.

(The second man--who is named Gasuke--strikes him with a sheathed sword-cane.)

Gasuke: Don't talk to us like that. You daydreaming or something? What the hell you think you're gonna do?

Yahiko: It doesn't matter.

(remembering Kenshin's words "You have the form of a child, but you have a fine heart")

Yahiko: I'm just sick of doing something as pathetic as picking pockets

(Gasuke kicks him in the face.)

Gasuke: Keh! You're pretty fresh. This is a good time to teach you who's in charge!

(Kaoru is walking home over the bridge.)

Kaoru: Mm--worked up a good sweat. I'll go home and take a nice bath. I wonder if Kenshin got the water boiling? He left early, so that's probably what he's doing... (she looks up and notices the two men walking away, with Yahiko slung across Gasuke's shoulder.) That's...

(Inside the yakuza headquarters. Gasuke is beating Yahiko in front of a group of yakuza and their leader, Tanishi.)

Gasuke: Stubborn brat. One word of apology and this would all be over.

Tanishi: Wait a little. Gasuke, Hitokiri of the yakuza, if you go any farther you'll really kill him. Yahiko. (Yahiko turns an angry glare his way.) If you stop picking pockets how are you going to live? If you think you can get somewhere because your family was samurai, you're making a big mistake. It's the Meiji era now. We live in a world where only money talks. Honor is just another word. If anything, the samurai who tried to cling to what they had are the ones who've gone to the dogs. You can see the daimyo Okugata's daughters lolling around the pleasure quarters. They say when they catch theives, they're all samurai. It's pathetic. Forget your samurai family and remember your lowly life. And live long as a follower of Tanishi.

Yahiko: Don't make me say it a thousand times. I'm done with you.

Gasuke: You act like this to the boss who picked you up out of the gutter when your parents died! You brat! They were samurai, but your father was a poor man with only three koku of land and only two servants! He died like a fool shielding the Emperor's army! Your mother worked in the pleasure quarters until she got sick and died, a stupid whore! I don't know which one you take after, but you're your idiot parent's idiot child!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close