Depression Soup - Cover

Depression Soup

Copyright© 2011 by TC Allen

Chapter 24: Ever After

Our firstborn arrived exactly two months before our first anniversary and Betty May had already decided that if it was a boy his name would be David Lee Hansen Junior and if it was a girl she would be named Martha May Hansen after our two mothers. So being the generous man that I am, I gave her twins, a boy and a girl. Then, a year later came Walter Scott, named after his grandfather.

Betty and I had our disagreements, just like any other married couple. There were times we differed and a few times our differences were quite serious. We kept our personal problems between the two of us and worked them out ourselves. We also found ways to solve those differences without once edging toward divorce. When two people not only love each other, but also respect each other, it is hard to break them apart. We worked to find common solutions and not win arguments. Therein lies one of the foundations to build a strong marriage on. That's why, after all these years we still take pleasure when we hiss each other good night.

Back about the time World War Two ended we lost our dear friend, Dog. His health has slowly failed for a couple of years before it happened. The big old two hundred and some pound beast just seemed to slow down a little more each year. Finally he died peacefully in his sleep one quiet night.

As he grew older he finally reached the point where all he wanted to do was lie on the back porch next to the door where he'd be handy for any stray petting that came his way. It seemed the older he got the friendlier he got. Sometimes the kids would make a game out of all three scratching and rubbing him all over just to hear his moans of pleasure. He became quite a ham after he learned the louder he moaned the longer he'd be paid attention to. He was such a very unique dog.

One morning though, young Walt came running into the house crying, "Old Dog is dead." He stood there crying as the twins rushed out to check. In a moment they slowly came back in, tears running down their faces, "He's dead, Papa," Martha said, "Old Dog is dead. Why? We all loved him, why?"

My own eyes started to tear up and I tried to think of words that would comfort and explain. "Kids, everything and everybody in this world stops living, whether it's a flower or a person. Just remember that Dog lived much longer than most big dogs his size. Also, we all loved him and he was happy living with us. It was his time and he went out of this life in his sleep, dreaming happy dreams." My voice broke and I couldn't go on. Betty had come over to where we were standing and we all just hugged and quietly remembered what a friend old Dog was.

We all went outside and I got a shovel and dug a grave for our friend. Betty got a sheet and we wrapped old Dog's stiffened body in it and gently lowered it into the ground. The dirt was piled over his grave and patted down. Slowly I turned away and headed toward the tool shed to put the shovel away. Betty walked alongside me, her arm around me. She had become very attached to Dog over the years. He had protected her twice from intruders when I wasn't home.

The children covered his grave with flowers and didn't go to the school picnic as planned that day. It was a very sad time for us all. Today we have a descendent of Dog living with us, a very nice, big and friendly animal named Charley. But he isn't Dog. Even now, sometimes, I still miss the big and ugly old four-legged friend who was so much a part of all our lives. At odd moments I still watch for him to come around the corner of the barn, driving the cows in to be milked or just come up to be petted and have his share of milk as he and the cats lined up for their nightly rations.

If I had it to live over, I cannot think of one important thing I would really want to change in my life. I am so fortunate to have these very, very many wonderful days to remember.


I hope you liked the story. I tried to share a bit of a time when our country was still proud and to be an American meant something.

Tom

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close