A Prince Too Many
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2011 by Celtic Bard

1 Year Later...

“Would somebody like to tell me what in the names of Zondro-Xhan’s many Hells is going on here?!” a stentorian voice boomed echoingly throughout the stable, startling horses in the stalls and causing the two riders bringing their mounts in from the paddock to wrestle with their reins. Corporal Kaykyssa cringed and looked guiltily around at his comrades. The voice was well-known and was supposed to be on its way to Ce’al Zor-Na with its owner, Command Sergeant-Major of the Cavalry Kola of Clan Ko’Kaso. They all turned to see the imposing figure standing in the middle of the stable, arms akimbo and a livid glare pinning them all in place, including the four year old boy being taught how to saddle a horse using one of the new ponies the Army just acquired for the cavalry. It was obvious to anyone with eyes that the boy did not belong amongst the group of commoner soldiers simply by his footwear, fine leather half boots that no sensible commoner would waste on feet that would not wear them much longer than six months. “I am waiting!”

Sharn ignored the roaring voice, having learned over the last year that soldiers did a lot of yelling and that none of it was aimed at him unless he did something wrong. Which he never did. His tongue sticking out between his teeth and his jaw thrust forward stubbornly, he wrestled with the saddle until he got the buckles and straps all hooked together just like Corporal Kaykyssa showed him. When he was satisfied it was right, he turned around and looked for the approving face that usually was right over his left shoulder any time he was learning something new only to find a man with skin so light green it was almost white, hair so dark it was almost black, and eyes that looked like they were golden with orange spokes, like the wheels of a golden chariot Kreu-Garra might ride into battle against Zondro-Xhan. His face was smooth with a few lines around his eyes and he had hands that looked long and elegant, almost like his step-father Giappo the Pianist. A thin mouth curved slightly as those odd eyes glanced down into the fearless face of a noble’s son.

“That was well done, boy. How long have you been riding?” he asked, his voice not as dangerous and loud.

Sharn giggled and shook his head. “I can’t ride by myself yet, sir. I am too small. But one day Raisa and me are going to ride to the ends of the world together,” he replied with a fierce look in his liquid blue eyes. Kola was almost taken aback by the intensity of those eyes watching from beneath a shock of hair in a shade of red unheard of in Ce’al. Then his mind replayed the boy’s words and stood straight, his eyes scanning the stables for a weathered face.

“Lialor, front and center!”

The stablemaster straightened from where he had been lounging as he mended some tack and came to face the Command Sergeant-Major. “Sar’nt Major?”

The golden glare of Kola bored into his stablemaster. “Please tell me you have not let this child near that monster of yours!”

Lialor sighed and shook his head. “I tried to keep him away from her, Sar’nt, but she gets riled up if she scents him and he cries if he can’t go see her at least once a day,” the stablemaster tried to explain, his tone earnest though defensive. “Besides, since he started coming here, Raisa’s settled down a mite. Still won’t let nobody ride her but me, but now she at least tolerates other folk and horses going by her stall.”

Kola closed his eyes and covered his face with his long hands. “How long has the child of Lady Shiena of Jenni been coming here unattended?” There were several loud swallows and much shuffling of feet as the men gathered around Sharn and the pony looked anywhere but at the Sergeant-Majors. “How long, Lialor?”

“About a year, Sar’nt,” muttered the stablemaster.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close